Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2001, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     
Default Gas tank size and MPG

I was just wondering how large your gas tanks are on your cobras and what kind of milage you get? I am planning for a 460 that will run on 93 pump gas with 425-450HP. If any of you have this set up please tell me your tank size and MPG. The info would be greatly appreciated.

GS
Old 12-16-2001, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF 289 Slabside
Not Ranked     
Default Gas tank size and MPG

GS,

I have a 3yr old SPF w/a crate 460. Alum. CJ heads, Edlebrock Performer intake, and a holley 850 DP. Chassis dyno results were 401hp and 480 torque. That probably makes the net hp in the 470-480 range.

My tank is a Fuel Safe fuel cell, and it holds about 16 gal. I usually fill the tank when the guage is between 1/4 and 1/2 because of how fast the fuel empties from that point on due to the wedge shape of the bottom of the tank (I reset the trip odom upon filling and refill at 100 miles).

Around town, the best I can hope for is 9mpg (. . .but then, I'm not driving for mileage!) On the highway in 5th (Tremec TKO) I've gotten as much as 15mpg.

Alan
Old 12-16-2001, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

428 dynoed at 478 hp with 532 lbs of torque. Hooly Avenger 770 cfm carb. 20 gallon fuel safe. I refill every hundred miles as my guage is a pressure gauge and does not read from full to empty. Almost always 94 octane. About 9 mpg.

Stu
Old 12-16-2001, 06:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
22 gallon custom made fuel cell feeding a 535 CID stroker based on a 429SCJ block. 6.3 mpg in all around driving...which includes a lot of cannon shot accelleration... ...as well as a lot of upper speed hiway driving... ...
Old 12-16-2001, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396 long block, PROBE Forged Dished pistons 8.75 to 1 and Vic Jr. heads from Engine Factory. Tremec TKO. BDR#244 Sterling Gray/Silver stripes. 17in polished wheels, glove box and tonneau cover.
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Gas tank size and MPG

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Smith
GS,

I have a 3yr old SPF w/a crate 460. Alum. CJ heads, Edlebrock Performer intake, and a holley 850 DP. Chassis dyno results were 401hp and 480 torque. That probably makes the net hp in the 470-480 range.

My tank is a Fuel Safe fuel cell, and it holds about 16 gal. I usually fill the tank when the guage is between 1/4 and 1/2 because of how fast the fuel empties from that point on due to the wedge shape of the bottom of the tank (I reset the trip odom upon filling and refill at 100 miles).

Around town, the best I can hope for is 9mpg (. . .but then, I'm not driving for mileage!) On the highway in 5th (Tremec TKO) I've gotten as much as 15mpg.

Alan
wow thanks guys! Thats a big help. I am not going for milage either but I just want to make sure what I'm getting into. I may have a few more questions down the road. I'd appreciate your help.

Alan: how does your tremec TKO hold up to the HP? had any problems when your get on the trottle? I plan on just driving around town but getting on it hard some times. I'm looking at a TKO or a Wide Ratio TL.

GS
Old 12-17-2001, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF 289 Slabside
Not Ranked     
Default Tremec Suitability

GS,

The Tremec does the job real well. If I was putting one in today, I'd make it the TKO II. It has a slightly less-tall 5th gear that allows for better cruising (and, probably a little more top-end speed on the VIR straight!.)

With my current TKO, if I want to cheat a 55 mph zone and do 62, I'm right on 2k rpm. That a lug. If traffic slows me up, etc., I'm constantly going from 4th to 5th to 4th . . .

Alan
Old 12-17-2001, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC, 351W
Not Ranked     

People often ask.."How can you afford the gas?" or something else to that effect. In reality, gas is about the cheepest thing about owning a Cobra!
Old 12-17-2001, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, 427 EFI; CAV GT40, 427W
Not Ranked     

I have a custom ~22 gal fuel cell from ATL. Don't know about milage till she is on the road.

Gary
CAV GT40 Dealer
www.2gmotorsports.com
Old 12-17-2001, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Consumption

520 cu in

About one dinasour's worth of hydrocarbons per week end.

Dave # 88
Old 12-21-2001, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 460 Crate
Not Ranked     

I used the donor Mustang tank, about 15 gals. I fill her about every 100 - 120 miles and she normally takes about 13 gals. That's about 9 mpg. I'm running a normal TKO and 4.10's in the rear. 850 cfm on a crate 460 with 535 hp.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

486hp/460 crate. 17 gal tank, 13mpg city, 17-18 hywy (19.2mpg best). Running a manifold ported vac advance for mileage with an electronic vac disconnect/dump at half throttle to ward off detonation.
Pulls great from 1,000 rpm in 5th. Will pull from 750 rpm, but must be gentle to get her going.
Running 750 street demon carb. It has a wider mixture spread allowing for a little leaner cruise setting than its competitors.
10,000 miles and going strong.
Bob