Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Help with 429 block id

Looking for some help with my 429 block. The number on the block right below the heads is C8VE-F. Is this the correct id number?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Yes, what are you looking to find out about it? The C8VE-F is the engineering number, signifying that it was made in 1968.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What I'm trying to find out is this really a 429 cobrajet block.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

justushdw,

As far as I've been able to find, the difference is that the CJ/SCJ block has 4-bolt main bearings; otherwise the external markings may not tell you anything.

I did find this quote: "DOVE-A blocks produced in the Dearborn foundry are the only ones cast with extra thick main webbing to allow for the factory instalation (sic) of 4 bolt main caps."

And: "C8VE,C9VE and DOVE blocks all have a narrow pan rail."

If there is a CJ/SCJ block from any other year(s) (except D0VE-A that is,) it's unlikely it has 4-bolt main caps.

The CJ for 1968 was an FE. The 385 series CJ appeared in 1970; the 4-bolt main option appeared in 1971. (Unless there are other sites that differ LOL)

The short answer is the 4-bolt main D0VE-A is the CJ/SCJ. All the other blocks are pretty much similar to each other except the truck blocks, labeled D9TE, which have cylinders that are 0.2" deeper toward the crankshaft. The latter are considered by some a little better basis for a stroker engine.

Hope this helps!

Tom
Old 03-19-2015, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by justushdw View Post
Looking for some help with my 429 block. The number on the block right below the heads is C8VE-F. Is this the correct id number?....What I'm trying to find out is this really a 429 cobrajet block.

Thanks
C8VE-F is a 1968 engineering revision engine block, not too many blocks were produced with that number. It is a standard 2-bolt passenger car block, not a CJ or SCJ block.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

CJ, SCJ or not, it's my understanding the standard 2 bolt blocks are capable of handling 800 HP, perhaps more. The 2 bolt blocks can also be converted to 4 bolts.
460 block help - 460 Ford Forum
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mil-11450
Old 03-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
justushdw,

As far as I've been able to find, the difference is that the CJ/SCJ block has 4-bolt main bearings; otherwise the external markings may not tell you anything.

I did find this quote: "DOVE-A blocks produced in the Dearborn foundry are the only ones cast with extra thick main webbing to allow for the factory instalation (sic) of 4 bolt main caps."

And: "C8VE,C9VE and DOVE blocks all have a narrow pan rail."

If there is a CJ/SCJ block from any other year(s) (except D0VE-A that is,) it's unlikely it has 4-bolt main caps.

The CJ for 1968 was an FE. The 385 series CJ appeared in 1970; the 4-bolt main option appeared in 1971. (Unless there are other sites that differ LOL)

The short answer is the 4-bolt main D0VE-A is the CJ/SCJ. All the other blocks are pretty much similar to each other except the truck blocks, labeled D9TE, which have cylinders that are 0.2" deeper toward the crankshaft. The latter are considered by some a little better basis for a stroker engine.

Hope this helps!

Tom
All my docs confirm what Tom is saying.
C8VE and C9VE just show up as "429/460-all applications"
D00E-B = "429 CJ AND SCJ Before 8-30-70"
D10E-CA = "429 CJ AND SCJ After 8-30-70"
DOVE = "1971 and Includes 429 CJ, SCJ and Police w/ 2 and 4-bolt mains"
Old 03-19-2015, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
All my docs confirm what Tom is saying.

C8VE and C9VE just show up as "429/460-all applications"
D00E-B = "429 CJ AND SCJ Before 8-30-70"
D10E-CA = "429 CJ AND SCJ After 8-30-70"
DOVE = "1971 and Includes 429 CJ, SCJ and Police w/ 2 and 4-bolt mains"
The above appears looks to have been sourced from a book authored by Tom Monroe, titled, "How to Rebuild Ford V8 Engines."

Important Note: While the book does offer decent step-by-step basic assembly of a bone stock Ford V8, the Engineering Code and Spec Tables at the rear of the book are filled with numerous errors are ought not be trusted. In this particular instance, there is no D00E-B 429 CJ and SCJ, nor is their a D10E-CA CJ and SCJ. These two errors are only a couple of the many, many others.

Last edited by Paul Kane; 03-19-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Old 03-19-2015, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
CJ, SCJ or not, it's my understanding the standard 2 bolt blocks are capable of handling 800 HP, perhaps more. The 2 bolt blocks can also be converted to 4 bolts.
Indeed, 800 HP with a 2-bolt 385 Series block is not in issue by those who know how to set them up for certain applications. The 2-bolt blocks have been proven capable of supporting 4-figure hp, and 4-bolted versions have supported thousands. Entering into 4-figure HP with the 2-bolt blocks and more than that with the 4-bolted versions are extreme examples, of course.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
The above appears looks to have been sourced from a book authored by Tom Monroe, titled, "How to Rebuild Ford V8 Engines."

Important Note: While the book does offer decent step-by-step basic assembly of a bone stock Ford V8, the Engineering Code and Spec Tables at the rear of the book are filled with numerous errors are ought not be trusted. In this particular instance, there is no D00E-B 429 CJ and SCJ, nor is their a D10E-CA CJ and SCJ. These two errors are only a couple of the many, many others.
Nope, that all came from my Warner Roberts book which I got before Ford shut them down. Yes, I know and have Monroe's book too and agree.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Nope, that all came from my Warner Roberts book which I got before Ford shut them down. Yes, I know and have Monroe's book too and agree.
Interesting, I've never heard of the Warner Roberts book. Regardless, there are no D00E-B or D10E-CA 385 Series engine blocks (those engineering revisions more closely align with SBF blocks and heads).

The standard production 385 Series cast iron block casting numbers of which I am aware are: C8VE-B, C8VE-F, C9VE-B, D0VE-A, D1VE-(various suffixes and configurations), D9TE-AB and D9TE-BB.