Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

Dimis,

My post was in support of Damages` comments about how great the Kirkham family is to deal with, and the fact that no engine builder is exempt from expected quality customer service.

Especially for a 40- 50,000 dollar engine

Maurice
Old 02-01-2015, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

OK here we go. We have talked with you. Lance has spoke with you several times and I have spoke with you through e-mail. You had a chain break which we did not make. We used what was available at the time. We have offered to replace the parts. You think the exhaust calves were hitting the pistons before this happened, wrong. When the chain broke, that is when your exhaust valves hit the pistons plain and simple.
You are doing yourself no good getting help from me by getting here and talking bull****. That is all the internet is good for. We used the same parts anyone else used at that time. You get bad parts.
On another not I can not fix your engine if I do not have it. There better chains out now. Lance said he has tried to work with you but you keep saying workmanship and that had nothing to do with it. You had a part break. Those are complicated valve trains.
I use to have a passion for this stuff but between the vendors lack of quality, the Internet and all of the know it alls out there I have come to dislike it more and more.

Last edited by Keithc8; 02-01-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Old 02-01-2015, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Keith perhaps you could talk with Lance because I haven't had a response from you guys at all since my last phone calls and emails 3 weeks ago when I asked exactly what you would supply. I haven't had any response to the photos that I forwarded, how do you say the valves weren't hitting the Pistons prior to the chain breaking when the valves are marked for a full 360degrees of the valve face.

This has been going on since November, so if you say your going to help why is it so hard to actually confirm exactly what you intend helping with.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'll repeat.

When you spend $40,000 or $50,000 on an engine, you should expect more than 40 or 50 miles.

And if you have no faith in the chain, then don't install it. Don't build the engine, if the parts aren't acceptable.

Simply ridiculous, in my view.
joyridin' and ACademic like this.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'll repeat.

When you spend $40,000 or $50,000 on an engine, you should expect more than 40 or 50 miles.

And if you have no faith in the chain, then don't install it. Don't build the engine, if the parts aren't acceptable.

Simply ridiculous, in my view.
I have to agree with RodKnock on this one. This one's pretty hard to swallow.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are usually 5 sides to every story, but this one seems to favor damage. People usually do not have a tendency to write on here unless they feel they are getting the bone. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong, but if you were helping the guy, I doubt he would have posted.

Maybe you need to call him and be very clear what it is you will do to help him. Obviously there is a misunderstanding.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Hard to know what to believe but the fact is the motor died in 40 miles. But Damage, markings on the valves mean nothing. When that chain broke, all hell broke loose in the valvetrain. The valve damage happened after the chain broke. Back to the point, a part failed and the owner needs some sort of redress.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree with the posters above. Especially, the point about not doing a job if you do not have confidence in what you are installing. If you can't back up your work and components based on your experience, don't take the responsibility of building the motor. Don't take the money. Plain and simple. Otherwise ensure that what your delivering is done right. This reminds me of my cammer build with Jim Barillaro. When the engine failed and we took it apart to see what happened and sent him the pictures, all he could say was I guess there may have been a part that was not good. That to me is unacceptable . I guess because Damage is geographically very far away his recourse is limited.....lucky for Keith.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Correction.

Damage spent $60,000 on his Cammer, per an earlier statement of his. Not $40,000-$50,000.

My apologies.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philminotti View Post
Hard to know what to believe but the fact is the motor died in 40 miles. But Damage, markings on the valves mean nothing. When that chain broke, all hell broke loose in the valvetrain. The valve damage happened after the chain broke. Back to the point, a part failed and the owner needs some sort of redress.
Phil, I agree that there is going to be valve damage with a broken chain that's undeniable however what remains questionable as far as workmanship is concerned is the fact that the entire right side of the engine shows valve contact with the pistons for an extended duration. I didn't post pictures to show this previously but here they are below for anyone curious.

Left side engine valve showing the contact that would have occurred at breakage.

[url=http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/84931]

Right side valve showing full 360 degree contact.

[url=http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/84930]
Old 02-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Correction.

Damage spent $60,000 on his Cammer, per an earlier statement of his. Not $40,000-$50,000.

My apologies.
Oh, well in that case.... But, surgeries go bad... but all you can ask is that your surgeon tried his best. Lawsuits go south and witnesses choke, but all you can ask is that your lawyer try his best. How is building an engine any different? All you can ask is that a man try his best.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is true but it is a bit more heartfelt when it is your own $60K. Based on the thread, it does not appear that the builder tried his best to make it right.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Shiz happens. Especially high HP motors. ESPECIALLY 'new' SOHCs. These things aren't ready. Period.
I know of another new SOHC that has had multiple, low mile rebuilds.
It's all in how it's handled by the builder.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

Correction, I do not have the engine so I can not fix it. Correction thevdamn valve hit like that when a chain breaks. Correction we had no ideal there was a problem with the chains till we heard about some other failures and we do not use them any more.
Further more I do not care what all yo know it all think. Like I said I am sick of all these engine geniuses on the Internet. Wish you all could do this for a while since you are so smart. I am so ready to get out of this engine ****.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

At the end of the day, it all depends on the capabilities of the builder and how he handles challenges and responds with customer service. Mine was a function of poor machining, lack of attention to detail with respect to poor fitment, and horrendous assembly practices. All that lead to parts failure. It is financially and mentally heartwrenching when you have to foot the bill twice.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Once again I can show you where the piston the valve was checked. Very small cams it had a mile. No problem with the damn piston to valve clearance. Done several with the same pistons and cams.
You can break an engine in a few laps or miles. Sounds like you broke the tires loose and over revved it, oh I forgot the customer never does anything wrong.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wish I was as smart as you Rod Knock.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Send the engine back and we will fix it, I can not help where you are. I can not fix what I do not have. Have you sent Lanceca list of the parts you need?
Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Keith,

I do not claim to know it all and I am no engine genius, but I am a consumer and your cavalier attitude says it all. Perhaps you should decide to do something else because I don't think that you will be getting strong endorsements given this performance.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithc8 View Post
Send the engine back and we will fix it, I can not help where you are. I can not fix what I do not have. Have you sent Lanceca list of the parts you need?
Lance has the complete list of the minimum that I require as do you. Its contained on all the emails that I have sent complete with photographs as per the instructions that Lance provided.

Freight back to the states would cost more then the parts to fix this thing as per my earlier emails all I am after is the parts needed and I will look after the rest at this end.

Thankyou for your responses.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: