Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     
Default Parts required to swap from small block to 385 in a Superformance

The title pretty much sums it up. I would like to start getting a list together for a future project. Currently I have dart block 427W with TKO600 and was wondering what is required for a swap. I have not gotten far enough on the motor but it would be a stroked 385 block. I'm thinking selling my current drive train may be the best solution as it now runs great and it is more power than most cobra owners would want anyway. Thanks for the assistance and please add to the list what I may be not thinking about. FYI I don't track the car and I don't live in the mountains. I enjoy the nice 2 lane back road cruising and pure acceleration where it feels like your going to get sucked out of the seat.

*New engine and tranny mounts
*Bellhousing
*Current TKO-600 will not be up to the job so I figure you need an appropriately built TKO-600 for the power level
*Clutch
*Headers
*Flywheel
*I'm sure there are some coolant hoses ect. that would need to come from SPF
*Was considering what would need to be done to the hood but I came across an article by "Craigs Cobra" where Craig had a victor intake on a 385 big block and managed to build a drop base filter that all fit under the stock hood.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
*Current TKO-600 will not be up to the job so I figure you need an appropriately built TKO-600 for the power level ...
Just how much torque do you expect your stroked 385 to make?
The TKO-600 is torque rated at 600ft/lbs.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The post 1600 series SPFs have the cowl raised to accommodate the 385 series engines (dependent of course on your choice of intake)

You will need new engine mount pedestals for the 385. The trans mount will be the same as you now have so no change there. The hoses, etc. needed can be locally sourced so no need to order special.

Your TKO should be sufficient although you can have it upgraded to be safe.

Perhaps some throttle linkage pieces but the rods, etc. can be locally procured as well.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-08-2016, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
Just how much torque do you expect your stroked 385 to make?
The TKO-600 is torque rated at 600ft/lbs.
I haven't spoken in depth with a builder but I would assume you would be looking at 700ftlb plus or minus from a stroked 385. I would rather invest the extra $1,500 in having the right components to hold the power then tearing something up. My driving style does not include burn outs or launching the car so I'm not sure if that would allow my current TKO600 to live. I think I came across an old post where Brent Lykins offered an upgrade on the TKO600for larger power setups like FE's and other big blocks
Old 06-08-2016, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
The post 1600 series SPFs have the cowl raised to accommodate the 385 series engines (dependent of course on your choice of intake)

You will need new engine mount pedestals for the 385. The trans mount will be the same as you now have so no change there. The hoses, etc. needed can be locally sourced so no need to order special.

Your TKO should be sufficient although you can have it upgraded to be safe.

Perhaps some throttle linkage pieces but the rods, etc. can be locally procured as well.
Thank you for your input. It sounds like I was not to far off on my initial list. I thought the hoses were specific but maybe that is something that I can get at the local NAPA. Do you have any input on the existing radiator? My car is #1867 so that helps my hood situation. I see where most use the Torker II but I have been told it is not ideal given my goals
Old 06-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thank you for your input. It sounds like I was not to far off on my initial list. I thought the hoses were specific but maybe that is something that I can get at the local NAPA. Do you have any input on the existing radiator? My car is #1867 so that helps my hood situation. I see where most use the Torker II but I have been told it is not ideal given my goals
The radiator is the same for all SPFs and will handle 600HP plus with no issues.

We can supply NAPA numbers for the rad hoses although some need to be cut and you use some hard tubes as well.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

In your application, the trans would hold up just fine. If you were drag racing and were doing drop clutch launches with slicks.......nope.

Those transmissions are rated safely for 600 lb-ft of *continuous* torque. They will hold more and you can always choose the clutch to be the circuit breaker.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
In your application, the trans would hold up just fine. If you were drag racing and were doing drop clutch launches with slicks.......nope.

Those transmissions are rated safely for 600 lb-ft of *continuous* torque. They will hold more and you can always choose the clutch to be the circuit breaker.
Thanks Brent I needed some good news today! I know I had tossed around the gear swap idea while the current motor is in the car. I think I should hold on to those 3:31's as a spare set. What gears do you see guys running on the street in these cars considering a stroked 385?

Last edited by Ace23; 06-08-2016 at 12:37 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

You may need to go to stronger / higher-rated springs on the front suspension.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
You may need to go to stronger / higher-rated springs on the front suspension.
I haven't considered that but that is something to think about. My guess is a 125lb+ increase over my existing Dart block 427. The other thing I haven't considered is beefing up of the rear end components or drivetrain. That's a lot power to spin through anything but if I'm not dropping the clutch and doing Mid Ohio style street burnouts then maybe it will survive. I've owned the car for about 16 months and I have put 3000+ miles on it without ever launching the car so that's a good indication of driving style.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I haven't considered that but that is something to think about. My guess is a 125lb+ increase over my existing Dart block 427. The other thing I haven't considered is beefing up of the rear end components or drivetrain. That's a lot power to spin through anything but if I'm not dropping the clutch and doing Mid Ohio style street burnouts then maybe it will survive. I've owned the car for about 16 months and I have put 3000+ miles on it without ever launching the car so that's a good indication of driving style.
The springs are the same across the SPF line however you could go higher on rate if needed, we can supply alternate rates coils. Remember that you have "coil overs" and the ride height is easily adjusted if required.

I may have a set of the 385 headers in stock.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I haven't gotten into any deep details but I'm sure Kasse P51 heads would fit the bill, Hydraulic roller, Firefly P51 ported headers. My requirements are run on 93 octane and be able to cruise at 2000rpm. I'm not sure what the cruising at 2000 rpm's does to the cam selection and overall power potential so that is slightly up for debate.

The other elephant in the room is what cubic inch to consider. From what I have read the stock blocks can go to 557 and then you have the Ford A460 blocks that take you out to 598. The most powerful SPF I've been in was slightly over 600 HP & 600 TQ with 3:46 rear gears. In reality I think 700HP and 700HP TQ would be insane but you always get used to what you have and you hate to under build In all seriousness I don't think torque is going to be an issue with something like this so I would think you could afford to have a higher peak power just to bleed of some of the low end. The last thing I would want is something you roll into and it hits like a bomb at 3000rpm.

Last edited by Ace23; 06-08-2016 at 02:16 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The springs are the same across the SPF line however you could go higher on rate if needed, we can supply alternate rates coils. Remember that you have "coil overs" and the ride height is easily adjusted if required.

I may have a set of the 385 headers in stock.
Mark,
The spring rate may require an upgrade with the additional weight....maybe not just have to try it and see. What size diameter are the 385 headers? Cylinder head selection would impact the header selection......are the headers you have designed around the cobra jet heads?

Last edited by Ace23; 06-08-2016 at 09:23 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ace you need to drive to Florence ( 3 hrs away) and let me take you for a ride in a couple of Cobras. One a 408 W and the other a 487 FE.

I've been watching you for months. You are making it to hard.

Dwight
Joe's Garage likes this.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Ace you need to drive to Florence ( 3 hrs away) and let me take you for a ride in a couple of Cobras. One a 408 W and the other a 487 FE.

I've been watching you for months. You are making it to hard.

Dwight
Oh come on you party pooper you know half the fun is doing something to the car! I appreciate the offer but I have some 396's amd Keith 427+ Windsors local to me. I have no interest in the FE platform and the only option with the Windsor is getting another 30 cubes out of it which pretty much maxes it out. My car is running great I just want more juice. Info realize the 385 opens up a whole other can of worms and is a lot of power. I sure wish there was a car local with a 385 to experience. The crazy guys with turbo Windsors end up laying down insane power at the wheels and seem to enjoy them....the N/A big block probably wouldn't come close to making what those cars make and you would think it could be more predictable

Last edited by Ace23; 06-08-2016 at 09:27 PM..
Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mark,
The spring rate may require an upgrade with the additional weight....maybe not just have to try it and see. What size diameter are the 385 headers? Cylinder head selection would impact the header selection......are the headers you have designed around the cobra jet heads?
The factory headers are a compromise at best and it looks like you are looking for every little bit so I suggest custom headers. Look at these: Firefly Stainless Steel performance pipes have been designed

And you will need their side pipes as well as the factory pipes will be too restrictive with higher flowing headers.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile you are correct

I own my Cobra for 15 years and every winter I did major modifications on it. I took the 302 from 280 hp to 500 hp. Three trannies, reworked the last one twice. Lots of suspension upgrades.

Yes working on them is more than half the fun

Dwight
Old 06-09-2016, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The factory headers are a compromise at best and it looks like you are looking for every little bit so I suggest custom headers. Look at these: Firefly Stainless Steel performance pipes have been designed

And you will need their side pipes as well as the factory pipes will be too restrictive with higher flowing headers.
Mark,
I currently have Firelfly pipes and that is where I found Craigs Cobra and the PF51 headers that where offered. I had heard the factory headers weren't so hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I own my Cobra for 15 years and every winter I did major modifications on it. I took the 302 from 280 hp to 500 hp. Three trannies, reworked the last one twice. Lots of suspension upgrades.

Yes working on them is more than half the fun

Dwight
The saying should be changed to "taxes, death and cobra maintenance are the only sure things in life"
Old 06-10-2016, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The intake height is an issue with a 385 and have enough room for an air cleaner under stock hood. Mine has a Performer RPM with slightly raised hood scoop to be able to fit in a 14"x3" K&N filter with Extreme top when competing otherwise run a Stellings for show.

With my Tremec and it's OD regeared the 9" to 3:70 the rollon's are painful cruising is very comfortable all things considered. I went with under car competition exhaust so long hauls are easy on the head and ears.

Most important is getting the intial engine height right.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
The intake height is an issue with a 385 and have enough room for an air cleaner under stock hood. Mine has a Performer RPM with slightly raised hood scoop to be able to fit in a 14"x3" K&N filter with Extreme top when competing otherwise run a Stellings for show.

With my Tremec and it's OD regeared the 9" to 3:70 the rollon's are painful cruising is very comfortable all things considered. I went with under car competition exhaust so long hauls are easy on the head and ears.

Most important is getting the intial engine height right.
I have read many of your post over the past year and a half and know that you are one of the few 385 series fans. I have seen 2 things related to the intakes that I found of interest

1. On Craigs Cobras it appears as if Craig has/had a 598ci stroker in which he modified a drop base air filter setup and was able to use a Victor intake under a superformance hood

2. Came across a thread where John Kasse ported a Torker II and it came within something like 30HP and 20TQ of a stock victor intake.......this was on a near 800hp 512CI stroked 385. I don't know how that translates for other cubic inch versions but I thought that was interesting. I don't think I need 800HP but if I did I wouldn't be too concerned about missing 30 of it.