Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2016, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #164 427 Med Rise Side-Oiler, 4 Speed Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default 429 CJ Worth?

I see plenty of posts asking this question (not just on ClubCobra), but reliable answers are hard to come by. I don't know if I'll get better results, but I thought I'd try:

When my father was preparing to build his kit back in the 80's he picked up a 429CJ and rebuilt it in preparation for installing it in the car. After the engine was complete, but before it was installed, he found a good deal on a 427 sideoiler and chose instead to install that in the car. As a result, the 429CJ sat in his garage, and now sits in mine, for what is going on 31 years. It's a shame for it to sit unused, and I don't have any applications for it, so I'm looking to sell it. I really have very little idea of what to price it at which is what has prevented me from getting it sold. I want to avoid asking too much but also want to avoid getting taken because I don't fully understand what I have here.

I have what I believe to be comprehensive receipts and pulled/inspected the top end to verify that the receipts are accurate. Here are the details:

Block Casting Number: D1VE-6015-AA (bored & honed .030 over)
Heads: TFS square exhaust port aluminum cylinder heads (ported & polished/88CI)
Intake: Single 4-barrel high-rise manifold (Holley maybe?)
Valves: Manley 2.3" intake/1.88" exhaust stainless steel
Pistons: TRW L2366R030 forged aluminum flat top
Camshaft: Competition Cams 34-331-4 (.3063 lobe lift, .530 valve lift, 280deg duration)
Lifters/Rods: Competition Cams CC-832 hydraulic flat-tappet with heavy-duty 3/8" rods
Rockers: Norris NPR175 stainless steel roller rockers
Oil Pan: Milodon deep sump, reverse

If any other component is critical to the value of the engine let me know, I should have info on it. All the machine shop work you would expect from a rebuild is documented. Stored with all passages masked off, covered, and without compression on valve springs. Internals got regular coatings of oil and everything looks like the day it was machined. No rust anywhere except externally on the crankshaft drive flange (will clean up easily).

From the documentation I have it looks like all the parts and machine shop labor totals $6850 in 1985 dollars, but I'm not sure how things have retained their value. Also, I assume that any buyer (knowing that the engine has been sitting for 3 decades) will at least want to inspect the bottom end if not disassemble and clean/re-lube everything, so I assume this thing will not demand tested/dyno'd prices. However, it should not require any machine work.

I would really appreciate any input. If you need any other info, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

I can't help you with the value, but I would post the question on a vintage Ford or Mustang-centric forum. Would be awesome to reunite the engine with it's matching number car. A long-shot, but maybe someone so looking for it's born-with 429. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2016, 04:43 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

According to what I have, a D1VE block is listed as a 1971 429/460 CJ, SCJ or Police Interceptor with either 2-bolt or 4-bolt mains. That's all I have.
Good luck!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

About $400-$1,000

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Critical,

I'd suggest you post this question on 460Ford.com

The members there are current with that exact type of engine - probably much more so than here...

Tom