Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2002, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF with 514 and tko
Not Ranked     
Default What oil pan do you use on 460 etc ?

What type of oil pan do you use on your 460 and why? Does it leak? Would you buy another? How does it compare to the stock crate motor pan? What type of pan gasket have you had the best luck with?
Old 06-25-2002, 02:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

I use the Canton Road Race pan. It gives seven quart capacity and adds an inch or two ground clearance extra over the stock pan. Seems OK so far - 850 miles this week.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I've heard very good things about the Aviad pan, however if you plan on doing any road racing (open track, etc...), then you might want to look into an Accusump as well, as these 460's tend to starve for oil on long left hand sweepers...

Have fun - drive safely,
Randy R...
Old 06-25-2002, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up I am going with the stock Ford pan

That came with my 514 SVO.
I could not find a one piece *COBRA* marked aluminum pan for the 460. I was told by a number of suppliers that they are many months away from restock.

I looked around, researched, and the big problems with the readily available welded aftermarket pans is, potentially:

1) The welds can and do leak sometimes, scary when and if they do!

2) Fitting problems with some aftermarket pans, around the rear "cup", etc...

Both problems have been reported right here on the club. It's a major pain if these things happen, especially if you have a really nice car and motor, etc...

My recommendation is the stock pan with an Accusump, I will be using the largest one that will fit (I think 3 quarts)

OH, and one more thing: If you want increased cooling and capacity, add an oil cooler !

BiB
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm

Last edited by Back in Black; 06-25-2002 at 09:52 AM..
Old 06-25-2002, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     
Default Ford Motorsports......

.....has a Ford rear sump pan and pickup, like a Chevy has.

Most stock 460 pans are front sump, which means under sustained acceleration, all of the oil in the pan is pushed to the back, away from the pick up. Not good.

Last I saw, the rear sump pan kit was about $200.00. Seems like a good deal.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR - 460 Crate
Not Ranked     

I used the Canton 9 quart flat bottomed race pan and pickup (I never heard of a Canton 7 quart for the 460, are you sure you're putting enough oil in your system???) I had clearance problems with my stock pan on the FFR frame, just hung too low. The flat bottom Canton gives perfect clearance on an FFR frame. No leaks and no problems in 5000 miles/1 season.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hello Dior55,

On the Canton web site, you can see the details for the 7-quart road race pan for the 460, "15-764 429-460 FORD FRONT SUMP OIL PAN". The URL is:

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...ump.html#15764

Hope this clears it up.

Regards,

Tom
Old 07-03-2002, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

This Canton 7 qt pan is actually 6 qts in the pan and 1 in the filter for a total of a 7 qt. system. First fill you need to calibrate you oil dip stick. My pan leaked at the rear. Changed to the cork gaskets and still leaked. Canton sent me a new pan and I only have 180 miles on the 514 and only had a small drop in the rear. Re-torked pan the other day and will see what happens from here.

If I had to do it over again, I would leave the stock SVO rear sump pan on it and put a accusump on. If my pan starts leaking again I will go back to the SVO stock pan. Ford developed the motor I think they know what they were doing with the pan!
Old 07-03-2002, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for all the replies

I am starting to think you may be right about keeping a stock pan and adding the accusump. However my Canton pan arrived last week and I sent it back to the Canton homeworld yesterday to have a fitting installed for the dip stick. I was not aware that a dip stick was considered an option but it seems to be. So before it arrives back I plan to buy stock in Permatex.
Yes I know the stock pan is low, however the bellhousing is even lower. So anything the oil pan misses the bellhousing wont.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

millennium200- Sounds as if you got things figgured out. Good luck on your choices. This is directed to other folks that may be thinking about this thing,
As for me I have a bit different way to look at this thing. For the life of me don't understand why a 400$ oil pan ends up on a very expensive engine when for just a few more bucks (sometimes less too!) a custom oil pan will most allways be the answer to oil problems, together with oil recovery systems.(accusumps) No, they don't have the neat COBRA logo's on them.
I am using a Stefs oil pan that is really a Pantera style that has 4 way trap doors and baffles, a pickup well, and holds 10 quarts and sits 3/4 inch shorter than a stock pan. www.stefs.com
There are other folks that do them to. Ask for Armondo at
www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/1624/
The merrits of using a custom pan far outweighs the increased costs you MAY have to pay. Also if you use a main girdle as is popular on 460/429's you will have to use a custom pan anyway, as there is nothing out there for that. The costs of a engine failure due to oil problems makes a custom pan look mighty good to me. As for a stock pan with a accusump, I've seen that 3 quarts in the accusump go south on long fast sweeper turns or interstate exit ramps with a stock pan setup. Just isn't enough. You need the extra oil if you are going to hot dog your car any way at all, so get a larger pan.
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 07-03-2002 at 10:51 PM..
Old 07-04-2002, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The oil that you are seeing from the rear of the engine could be the rear main seal leaking. The 460's have been known to do this. Mine does right now. You might want to look into a one piece rubber gasket for the oil pan. I've gone through a lot of different ones (multiple piece,cork,permatex) and found the one piece rubber to work the best.

Ross
Old 07-04-2002, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the information Cobrashoch, Now back to square one except with more ideas.
Ross, Who makes the best one piece pan gasket you have found?
Old 07-04-2002, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mille,

I'll have to look it up and get back to you.

Ross
Old 07-10-2002, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mille,

I have installed a number of different gaskets on the oil pan, but can only find one reciept. I know that the gaskets I've bought were from Jegs, Summit Racing and the Ford Dealer. The number I found is Ford p/n E9TZ-6710A. I called the dealership to see if they could tell me if it was the one piece rubber gasket. They didn't have one in stock, so they couldn't tell by looking at it, and the parts book doesn't give a discription of material used. You might want to call some dealerships by you to see if they have it in stock. Sorry I couldn't give you any better info than that.

Ross
Old 07-10-2002, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ross,
Thanks for all your trouble finding the part number.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,

I'm beginning to think my car is cursed. I have 1,000 miles on my motor and my Canton pan cracked along the bottom. I welded it up but it was such a huge crack (nope, didn't hit anything, just a stress crack) that I don't have much faith in it, nevermind the fact that it looks like $hit. I have an oil cooler on my car so I was thinking of going with a stock pan. I can't get any specs on the pan to see what the clearance or capacity is, but I can't imagine it is lower than the Canton pan (8 3/4 inches deep).

After reading the various threads on this subject it seems to me that if I go with the stock pan I shouldn't have the problem with cracking, but will there be enough capacity and do I really need the higher perfomance of an after market pan.

By the way I thought the Canton pan would be this super thing with trap doors and baffles, but there were none to be found.

So what do you think? Buy a stock pan, continue with my Canton pan and see if it leaks again, or call Stef's and have one made?

thanks
Old 07-13-2002, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Frank - You are going through the very process that I described in my post above. Cut your losses and order a custom pan right now! It does not have to be Stefs or Armondos pans, it could be local too. It's not rocket science after all, and another option is to have someone straighten out the Canton pan by welding in baffles and trap doors etc. A windage tray is cheap and may also help if you go back with the unmodified Canton pan.
cobrashock
Old 07-14-2002, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance '533'
Not Ranked     

I use the Canton 15-770 rear sump. 5000 miles with no problems.
You can see it at the Canton web page.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is no way I'll buy a Canton pan again. I have less than 2,000 miles on my car and have never bottomed out. There is no reason why this "competition" pan should have cracked. F them.

Anyone have a complaint or compliment with Stef's? Sounds like they have done custom pans for cobras before.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Project "X" underway....twin turbo V6, AWD...
Not Ranked     
Cool

Frank,
I still have the stock rear sump pan that came on my crate motor(460/560). It works fine, just has minimal ground clearance. If I recall, the rear sump is about 9 1/2" deep, giving me about 3-3 1/2" of ground clearance. So far, no problems, but I am very careful. Been thinking about calling Armondo. Heard all good things about him. Also, I've heard good things about Aviad(sp?), but they are very pricy. Then again, you usually get what you pay for!
Please post back here when you decide!
Dave