Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom S View Post

Moroso oil pan. 7 qt. baffled. P/N 20614
I looked at the Moroso 20614 pan, but it's 8 1/2" deep, and my bell housing is only 8 1/4" deep from my current pan rail.

I'm probably going to go with either Armando's Cobra pan or the nearly identical one from Aviaid - both of which are 7 1/2" deep.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

I use a custom Canton pan that holds 11 quarts. The pan is a front sump, and has both baffles and a sweeper. The system holds 15 quarts, with Wix filter and oil cooler, plus oli lines. No problems.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Since this thread has been resurrected (the original was in 2002!) I have learned that the Canton pan is really good looking.

Alas, the Canton "road race" pan isn't for road racing. The engine oil pressure WILL drop to zero in turns, both left and right.

Yes, this is the pan with trap doors and a covered sump and and and...

If you are doing any track days you will need an Accusump. Before the Accusump the oil pressure went to zero even when doing the "tire warming" maneuver - left right left right - and after installing the Accusump, no more problems.

I did question the Canton people at the PRI show several years ago, and they admitted they had no test data and no experience to show that this "road racing" pan actually worked. They just put in the trap doors and the other pieces and let the ads fly. Sad. Almost cost me an engine.

Just my experience.

Tom
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Armando oil pans are really worth looking at since Armando worked at Aviaid for years before going solo, they have a great price point, and in particular I like the pickup tube diameter he uses which is as big as 0.875" on the rear sump pans. This makes for a 0.750" pickup tube ID which is the same diameter as the pump entry on the OEM Melling pumps (both std and HV). He offers Cobra pans in both front and rear sump configurations.

Last edited by Paul Kane; 05-01-2015 at 10:26 AM..
Old 05-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has anyone used the 429/460 Blue Thunder Aluminum COBRA T-Pan? I have one that has been on the shelf for the past 17 years and it is finally going on my 429 Cobra Jet Motor. The problem I am having is finding spec’s for it as it is no longer in production. I need to find out what oil pump and pick up to use. The pan is 9” deep and I can’t find the right size pickup….any help would be appreciated.