Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Streetwize
  • 1 Post By Buzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2022, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 600hp borg warner t5?

Hello,
This is my first post. So I have a T5 borg warner that came from a 92 mustang. I already went through all the identifying websites and figured that out. so before my dad died we had a deal. he built the motor and tranny , and i did the car. The problem is i dont have documentation for what he did to the transmission. I only remember him saying something about the synchros. Well its time for the car. im going to do a backdraft cobra replica. This engine was virtually dyno'd with around 600hp. I mean i would find it very silly if he didnt put the Gforce (or other) upgrade kit into it, but i dont know how to identify if he did or not. I have the tail and top cover off. everything looks brand new, Obviously the sychros are new. one detail i did uncover is 5th gear has a borg warner stamp with an 052035 part on it. that to me is no big deal cause i would not be hammering it hard in 5th anyway. So do any of you know how to identify if it has been upgraded? please see the attached pictures. Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Jim
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2022, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

You do you, but if it were me I'd contact Gforce.

https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/contactus.asp
Old 04-01-2022, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah man its needed. They are so nice to deal with
Old 04-02-2022, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can't tell by looking but there should be a tag or engraving somewhere. Another supplier of super strong T5's is Astro:

Astro A-5 Racing Transmissions in Atlanta Georgia
Old 04-03-2022, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Easiest way to tell is put some sticky tires on the back, use a heavy flywheel, bring the launch RPM up to 6500 or so and side step the clutch. After a few launches like this you will either have parts under the car or not. If you don't then the transmission is pretty good, at least good enough for what you intend to use it for.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427" Stroker Smallblock with Trick flow heads
Not Ranked     

Opinions vary but I think the torque rating of transmissions and clutches alone can be a poor way to choose, the issue to me is they have to design transmissions for a wide range of vehicles, and (for example) a 3800+ pound 60's muscle car is going to put a lot more instantaneous shock load and continuous drag on the gears and synchros in that transmission and on that clutch than the same motor would in a ~2500 pound Cobra. I would put vehicle weight as the first factor to consider, how abusive you intend to drive it would be second.

You would have to be launching a Cobra on a pretty steep incline to even remotely simulate the instantaneous shock load that a ~50% increase in weight would subject that transmission to every day in terms of endurance and strength. Cobras are very easy to get moving and keep moving by comparison.

Something that GM is notorious for is putting a comparatively weak clutch in their performance cars, but if you think about it it's pretty clever, the clutch after-all is the replacable "fuse" in the drivetrain. Actually the tires are the first thing to reduce engine load, the clutch would be the second.
it's similar in some ways to having 8000RPM valvesprings in your 6000rpm redline engine, overkill you'll never really subject it to.

I have the standard Tremec 3550 (non TKO) in my 500+ HP 427" Windsor stroker along with the Ford motorsports (5.0 Upgrade) clutch. Works absolutely flawlessly, shifts very smoothly and it has for the past 17 years or so I've been driving it. My only complaint would be I think there is too much of a gear ratio drop between first and second, I'd prefer maybe a taller first gear.

I've been drag racing for over 40 years and I can (and have) shifted cars much harder and faster than I reasonably will allow myself to in a Cobra. not because I can't it's because IMO a Cobra set up for proper/optimal handling will not track straight under a full throttle launch and a violent 1-2 powershift. And to set the car up to optimize a Drag launch won't handle very well.

An old Porshe 930 Turbo is very similar in a lot of ways in terms of the "potential vs optimal" launch, just my opinion.
Buzz likes this.

Last edited by Streetwize; 08-17-2023 at 08:02 AM..
Old 08-17-2023, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwize View Post
Opinions vary but I think the torque rating of transmissions and clutches alone can be a poor way to choose, the issue to me is they have to design transmissions for a wide range of vehicles, and (for example) a 3800+ pound 60's muscle car is going to put a lot more instantaneous shock load and continuous drag on the gears and synchros in that transmission and on that clutch than the same motor would in a ~2500 pound Cobra. I would put vehicle weight as the first factor to consider, how abusive you intend to drive it would be second.

You would have to be launching a Cobra on a pretty steep incline to even remotely simulate the instantaneous shock load that a ~50% increase in weight would subject that transmission to every day in terms of endurance and strength. Cobras are very easy to get moving and keep moving by comparison.

Something that GM is notorious for is putting a comparatively weak clutch in their performance cars, but if you think about it it's pretty clever, the clutch after-all is the replacable "fuse" in the drivetrain. Actually the tires are the first thing to reduce engine load, the clutch would be the second.
it's similar in some ways to having 8000RPM valvesprings in your 6000rpm redline engine, overkill you'll never really subject it to.

I have the standard Tremec 3550 (non TKO) in my 500+ HP 427" Windsor stroker along with the Ford motorsports (5.0 Upgrade) clutch. Works absolutely flawlessly, shifts very smoothly and it has for the past 17 years or so I've been driving it. My only complaint would be I think there is too much of a gear ratio drop between first and second, I'd prefer maybe a taller first gear.

I've been drag racing for over 40 years and I can (and have) shifted cars much harder and faster than I reasonably will allow myself to in a Cobra. not because I can't it's because IMO a Cobra set up for proper/optimal handling will not track straight under a full throttle launch and a violent 1-2 powershift. And to set the car up to optimize a Drag launch won't handle very well.

An old Porshe 930 Turbo is very similar in a lot of ways in terms of the "potential vs optimal" launch, just my opinion.
Very well said and that is the truth right there. I had a T5 behind a 500hp stroker in my Cobra for many years. I did not baby the car and that sweet shifting T5 never had an issue. I had expected it to fail, planning to replace it with a TKO, but it just kept on going. in a substantially heavier car it would surely have been a different story.
Streetwize likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: