Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2002, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 429/460 build ups

I would like to get an idea of what everyone is using for components ie, cam, carbs,intake etc. and what HP rating they expect they have if not dyno'd
Nick C. thanks
Old 02-16-2002, 07:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     
Default 460 Components

I have what I consider a mild build compared to most 460/514s on this board.

My strategy was a very streetable motor that would (almost) never see any type of racing action, therefore no need to produce a lot of HP over 5,000 rpm.

Even then, putting these specs into Desktop Dyno gives an estimate of 469HP and 510 ftlbs of torque - which is why I went with the 460 in the first place. Try building a small block with these numbers for anywhere near the bang for the buck.

Here is what I have in it:

Block - 1973 Lincoln, .030 overbore,
decked .030
Heads - Stock, shaved .015, cut for
larger SS 2.19 I, 1.75 E.
Pocket ported intake +
extensive exh. porting to
smooth lumpy exhaust port.
Pistons - flat top Speed Pro
hyperuetectic with coated
skirts. About 9.7 CR.
Intake - Edelbrock Torker II
Carb - Edelbrock 800 CFM
Rockers - Crane rollers
Springs - Crane "CJ" spec replacements
Cam - Summit Racing .218/.228
Rods - Stock
Distributor - Big cap Proform
Ignition - MSD 6, with MSD coil
Oil pump - Melling High Perf.
Headers - 2" primaries.

Top 3 Benefits of the 460 series:

1. Torque
2. More Torque
3. Lotsa Torque

What is the fun when you drive on street? The thing that plants your rearend to the seat, impresses the hell out of any passenger, is torque.

You can essentially have Disneyland thrills as handy as whats in your garage.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 429

Thanks for the info jdean. Sounds close to the same ideas i've been toying with. My block was also 73 lincoln. I have gone with the edlebrock heads and am having the springs upgraded and porting. Still considering carburation or some fuel injection system. I probably wont race but will look forward to that torque pushing butts in the seats.
Nick C.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     
Default 460 build

Nick,

One thing I found after initially assembing my engine was that the pistons had a -.025 deck clearance. This, combined with about a .040 head gasket would have made for a quench area of .065 - not ideal at all. That is why I decked the block .030 for a positive .005 piston/deck clearance. This increased the overall compression a bit, which I could use with the 93cc heads i'm using. Also, the experts say that a quench area of .040 or under by itself is worth about 20 HP due to the violent push of air toward the spark plug during compression. So I'm hoping I gained between 20-30 HP by decking the block.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 429 build ups

Thanks again jdean. I tlaked to my builder tonite and were discussing cams and am sending the info you gave me as it sounds fairly close to mine less the aluminum 73cc heads. We'll figure out a good combo I hope. Nick C