Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2003, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default starter motor 429

Hi, again,more drama!! finally got the sanderson headers to clear the chassis on my dax cobra 429/c6 build, however there is now a clearance problem with the stock starter, can anyone give me the length of one of the mini starters (or similar) from the point where it touches the transmission to the end cap? my problem is the area to the left of the rh eng mount, where the header exits, the measurement of the stock starter at that point is 7" thanks in anticipation. Dave Keane PS My son is a para out in Iraq at present, ALL the troops out there are doing a great job!!!!!
Old 04-03-2003, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hello Dave,

Dunno if this is helpful but here 'tis:

Tilton web site

They have a PDF catalog you can download that gives starter dimensions.

Regards,

Tom
Old 04-04-2003, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default starter motor

Tom, thanks as always, it appears that the term mini-stater is misleading! as the length of types that I have checked up to now (mcleod/tilton) is as long,or longer,there must be shorter ones available, any other info appreciated. Regards. Dave
Old 04-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave,

Hmmm....

Only other thing I could imagine (without a picture, that is, hint, hint) is maybe that the mini starter could be rotated out of the way? Some of them have a multi-position plate at the bell housing end allowing rotation of the starter body.

Tom
Old 04-04-2003, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not Much Help

Dave,

I just measured my Ford Racing high torque mini-starter and its 6 3/4" long. Not much help I'm sure. I should add that the total length includes a center projection that locates the armature. That projection is less than an inch in diameter and about 3/4" long. So the rest of the end of the starter is only about 6" long. Might provide a little more clearance, but probably not enough.

Chuck
Old 04-05-2003, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default starter motor

Tom, I know!!! I must get a digital camera and get some photos to back up the queries, Chuck thanks for your input, I would probably just about make it with that Ford starter you mentioned, as long as it cleared with a few mm to get a heat shield between,what is the part no/availability?once again thanks to all. Dave
Old 04-05-2003, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ford Racing

Part number is M-11000-B75 for manual transmission and M-11000-A75 for automatic. Let me know if you need more precise measurements and I'll see what I can do.

Check out http:\\www.fordracing.com and search for one of these part numbers under Performance Parts.

Chuck
Old 04-06-2003, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default starter motor

Chuck, thanks for the part numbers, if you could get all the dimensions it would help with making a decision on which way to go. Thanks Dave
Old 04-06-2003, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Details

Dave,

OK, hopefully this will give you the full "picture"....

Here's a picture of the starter mounted on my 460 block. Note the projection in the center of the end cap and the heads of the bolts that fasten it together. Here are some dimensions:

Diameter of main body is 3 inches

From block plate surface (where starter flange seats) to:

-End of main body 6 1/8"
-End of bolt heads 6 1/4"
-End of center projection 6 3/4"

Center projection is 3/4" diameter and 0.680" long from end cap.

Of course, you can see the solenoid on top of the starter....I've not tried to take any measurements on that. Assuming your interest is in the main body.

I hope it works for you. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Cheers!

Chuck
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2003, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chuck thats great, yes the solenoid should not be a problem it's the main body of the starter, that put's me in the right ballpark, thanks again for your efforts. Dave