Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 67 Shell Valley - Kevlar; 514:TKO
Send a message via AIM to Jahred
Not Ranked     
Default RPM's - can 460/514 be made "bulletproof"??

Guessing this discussion has been "had" before but I would like some education on what one would do to the Standard 460/514 Ford Crate Motor to make it run higher RPM's reliably.

1) Would higher RPM's require forced induction?
2) One of the threads here suggested Dick Smiths Cobra was turning near 8000 RPM when he set his record? What did they do to those engines?
3) What's the weakest part of the Ford Crate? I know they updated the rods. I don't remember - the rest of the bottom end.........is not "four bolt", right? Is that the weakest link?
4) What parts would one consider and what other engine mods would be required? Right now, most 460/514 are peaking at 5000 RPM anyway, so is there any point in higher RPM's?

I hate to even mention this, and it may be bull, but I was talking with a guy in my neck of the woods who is a nationally prominent Olds engine builder. Does cyrogenic blocks and the whole deal. Has built a number of national champion drag motors.

He made it sound like Chevy Crate engines had a much more solid bottom end, that they ran a few grand more per engine, but that they were heavily warrantied irrespective of use or abuse..........that part seemed a little far fetched, but this guy is a pretty straight shooter.

Any thoughts on the above?????

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Forced induction has no relevence to max RPM.
The valvetrain will need work if you want to see 8000

The bottom end will need better parts as well:crank, rods, pistons, fasteners

Even with the right parts, there is no guarantee that a motor with over 4" of stroke will live all that long at 8000 rpm

The 460 crate motors are great to 6000.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

I have run 429/460 combinations for years. They make a ton of power with very mild parts added. The problem with 8000 RPM is you can't do it in a stock block or with cheap vavvetrain. As fixit said the stroke and weight of the rotating assy. is hard to contain. The area of the main web in a stock block is crap. You can fill it to the water holes and put a girdle on the mains but it is still crap. Don't spend money on a crank, rods, and a high dollar valvetrain if your not going to buy an SVO block. Your crate motor makes great power from 2-6000 RPM. The extra 2000 RPM will cost you $7,500-$10,000
Old 05-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
J,
The Ford racing division has all the go fast parts you want. It'll cost you big bucks though. A pro motor is 20 to 50 K.
The block is about $2,000 for a iron 4 bolt main,heavy wall, can be over bored 140 thou. These blocks come in 2 deck hieghts, the tall deck block can go over 700 cubes.If you want aluminum block contact AR inc, they bought the boss 429 rights from Ford and go out over 800 cubes. Then you need a steel aftermarket crank, steel rods, JE pistons, motorsport A heads with a big block chev exhaust bolt pattern(make your own 2 3/8th headers with 5" collectors) Roller cam with rev kit,etc. These pro stock motors can make 800 to 1400 HP depending on your combination.
Now- How are you going to hook this beast up? Not with your frame/suspension. You need to drop off a body at a race car shop like Jerry Bickle and 50 big ones and he'll build you a chrome molly chassis that will run 7 flat.
Realistically the 514 motor you have is too powerfull for your chassis, you can work with it a bit but it'll never hook up like a pro chassis. 600 HP in a pro chassis runs 9 flat all day long. 450 HP in a stock cobra chassis has a hard time getting into the 11's.
Perry.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perry, very informative, thanks!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Arrow

J.
Once you get into the details of the racing equipment, you can see the difference.
The main reason the RPM's can be increased safely is that the main journals on pro motors are not the 3" stock diameter. I believe they are 2.75" diameter. This does good things for RPM. Such as the block has more meat around the main bearings, the crank has less mass and less friction from reduced bearing area.They also run lightweight aluminum rods and pistons which in turn lets the crank have smaller counterweights.It's not uncommon to turn 10,000 RPM out of a motor like this.
Bob Gliddon proved it. 10 time pro stock champ.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why do you want to rev to 8,000 rpm? The engine 514 c.i. engine is plenty powerful for a Cobra. If it's top speed you want, Your 514 c.i. engine and a TKO 5-speed should do plenty. I have been to 175+ mph (per the speedo) and had plenty of RPM's left. As several people have said on this forum, at your 600+ horsepower and Tremec TKO 5-speed your only issues with going 200 mph would be your windshield, the stability of the car, etc...

Tell your friend the Chevrolet crate engine is a piece of _hit! As your friend says, "the Chevy crate engine cost a couple of grand more". Put that couple grand more in the 514 c.i. Ford crate engine, and hold on...
Old 05-15-2003, 11:47 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was mostly curious what the differences were with engines such as Dick Smiths that were able to rev that much higher.....understand the stroke is critical......a little more range in the gears would be nice but there is no doubt she is already more than I can handle.........
Old 05-17-2003, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default Something new about the 514 Ford crate motor...

It's the new SUPER Cobra Jet heads byt Jon Kaase.. here's the site:

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com...d_s_new_s.html

Now I am wondering which heads I have.. the "standard" CJ heads, or the supposedly vastly improved (with much higher HP?) Super CJ heads.. is there a mark/casting number to look for ? Anyone out there have the answer?
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 05-17-2003, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: .
Not Ranked     

i have seen 460/605 stroker engines.....has anybody seen/used/heard much about these engines??
Old 05-19-2003, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

I had a 604 in a 90 Ford Probe S/C. SVO block, Crower crank, Custom Aluminum Rods, Motorsport A Cyl. heads and Intake, single 1400 CFM Dominator. Motor made 1040 HP. Had just a hair under 25K in it.