Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2003, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 460 flywheel info

Did 460's have both internally and externally balanced flywheels? If so, how does a person figure out which one is needed? Thanks, Bill
Old 08-31-2003, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default External

Bill,

If your engine was built from a stock 460, it should be externally balanced. The way to confirm without tearing into the bellhousing is to look at your crankshaft damper. If the engine is externally balanced, the stock damper has an excentric counterweight that it pressed on the crank between the front cover and the damper. I'll try to post a picture to show you what a stock counterweight looks like.

How's the West Coast doing? Making any modifications? Mine is getting close to streetable. I'm hoping to get it inspected before the snow flies so I can have a plate on it by Spring.

Chuck
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2003, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Chuck, thanks a million times over. I've been trying to get an answer to this question for awhile. I felt there had to be a simple way to tell.
As for modifications, that's what this is all about. This winter I'm replacing the C6 with a toploader and I'm trying to get my parts all laid out. To go along with the tranny I'm changing the rear to 3.50's to replace the 2.8 somethings I'm running now. I've got dreams about playing with a turbo charger(s)...but that's for another time.
Glad to hear you're getting close to being done, it's worth the wait.
Thanks Again, off to EBAY flywheel shopping,
Bill
Old 09-01-2003, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ford Racing

Bill,

From my experience in flywheel shopping, there are a variety of brands and weights out there, some externally balanced, some not. I assume that you do have the counterweight on your damper and, therefore, an externally balanced engine. If so, I installed the steel billet flywheel from Ford Racing. Its a nice piece and it is properly weighted for a stock Ford setup. Need to be careful with the bolts to get the right length. My first attempt had the bolts bottoming on the block and the flywheel wouldn't turn.

I'll send an email with details and some pictures.

Chuck
Old 09-01-2003, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oops

Just saw that you don't have email available from the forum. If you send me an email, I'll send you my bill of materials with the combination of parts that worked for me.

Here's a picture of the flywheel.

Chuck
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2003, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default Just a note of warning...

If you guys are going with hydraulic clutch/TO bearing setup, then be sure to install an EXTERNAL slave unit... mine is dripping again at the slave unit, which is inside the bellhousing. What a dumb arrangement. ( it is driveable and I am doing so, but irritating since I don't trust it on a long trip for now. Gotta get it fixed real soon, since we have some adventures planned before summer's end ) If I had it to do over I would have for sure done one of the above alternatives.. I am leaning towards a mechanical clutch at this point, since the tranny has to be dropped anyway.
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm