Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2003, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Not Ranked     
Default Unique w/ 460? Opinions?

I am contemplating my engine like so many others have. At first I was set on a small block for agility reasons, stroked 351. Of course now I have been persuaded toward a big block and more specifically a 460.
The kit is going to be a Unique, and the tranny will be a toploader.
I have had the pleasure of driving an Everett-Morrison w/ a well built 355 and also a Unique w/ a Southern 390. I was impressed w/both, but after driving the Unique I am leaning towards big block.
My reasons:
I want to build the engine myself, I want reliability, and I want torque. I will most likely never race it, but may bring it to the drag just to see what it and I are made of.
I can't build a hi-po engine (stroked 351) since I am unexperienced, so I am leaning toward a mild 460 build that will net solid torque and hp numbers.

So, to make a long story short, does anyone have a Unique w/ a 460 or anyone driven a Unique w/ a 460 that would be willing to give me some insight on the vehicle? Or even your opinion of this set-up.

If there isn't too much respone here, I may post this on the Unique board, but I figured there is a fairly large gathering here.

Thanks for your time.
Jason
Old 10-31-2003, 06:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Hi diiulio,

I've seen several Uniques, but not one with a 460 yet. My last Unique had a 428, my good friends has a 302/338 stroker; both will fry street tires withought much effort.

If cost & getting the most bang for the buck is a consideration for you, there are several 351 Windsor or reasonable FE/390 builds that you could do that would do a nice job for you. Remember, Uniques have a Jag/IRS. They are light Cobras too. These cars are not designed for drag racing, and you can only spin the tires faster with more horsepower and torque. If you buy a Unique 427SC body, I would encourage you to consider one of the above options, 351/390/428 for performance, handling, and resale reasons. Plus, the Unique 427 just looks right with an FE sitting in there. Many people run 390/FEs and have had great luck with them. Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I would agree with the above.A 429 or 460 is a very good motor but is a much tighter fit in a cobra.I would build a nice 428;these motors are plentiful and fairly priced,very powerful and just look right in the cobra.I have no doubt that any cost over a 429 will be more than made up in higher resale value. chuck
Old 10-31-2003, 07:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

You might check with the Weaver's at Unique. While my 427 was being built they were also setting one up for a 460. I believe they said they would never do another.... but you should call to get their input if you are serious about a 460.

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 10-31-2003, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Jason,the FE series of engines is quite a bit lighter than the 429/460 and even a 390 could be brought up to 500+ streetable h.p. relatively easily.The FE is such a beautiful engine to behold,especially in a Cobra.I quess I'm a little biased,as my first car(a'61 Galaxie 500 2dr h.t.)had a 352 in it,and I thought even at the tender age of 16 that it looked and sounded pretty special.If I have my facts straight,an FE with alloy heads is very close in weight to an iron head Windsor.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Not Ranked     

Alright,
Thanks for the input. I guess I am back to the drawing board. I haven't done any research on the FE's besides reading a few Ford engine books that had a couple chapters dedicated to them.
Thanks guys,
Jason
Old 03-17-2004, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 460 FMS Crate motor, Tremec TKO, 520 BHP 540 FPT
Not Ranked     
Default 460BB

Boy oh boy - I just read all those replies - and none favored the 460 - well I don't know much about the Unique kits but I've got a FFR with a Ford Motor Sport 460 crate motor coupled with a tremec tranny and I just love it - specs are 0-60 3.2 sec, 185mph top speed, 1/4 mile in 10.__ depending on tires. 500++ bhp and torque -- and it's very easy to drive - you just gotta stay out of the trottle - some heat shieldingand fabrication was required but just a blast to drive - and i've had many cars before that I thought were fast and fun - this thing is better than a 911 twin turbo - - I did have a built 351w in a previous kit car - it was very fast but no where near the torque and fun of the 460 - Phil cell 410 963 0547
Old 03-17-2004, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

I personally don't understand the 460 thing, guess it's a bigger number than 427. If that's the case you can get a 427 FE stroked thats bigger than the 460 and in a Cobra would be lighter and quicker. I dont know how you can build a 460 but not a stroker?
The FE is a good looking engine that sets low and back in the Unique 427 S/C chassis, can't say that about the 460, great engine but not for a Cobra. And if you want to spend the $$ Unique will put it in the car but after years and years of experience with all kind of engines in THEIR cars I would tend to listen to them. My thoughts.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The thing about the 460 is you get the best bang for the buck. The FMS 460 with 535 HP is under 6 grand. Pretty hard to build a reliable small block with those numbers for less. Plus you won't get the broad torque curve of the big block.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

I love the 385 series Ford 429/460 . I have had a 1000 plus HP 385 Ford (single 4bbl) and they cant be beat for power they put out for the dollar.
That being said, I think it is the wrong choice for a Cobra. The FE is smaller,lighter,revs quicker,( mostly due to a MUCH lighter rotating assy) and it looks right in the car.
The 429/460 builds tremendous torque not required in a 2400 lb car.

Just my opinion

Brent
Old 03-17-2004, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC on order, 351c4v and top loader for power. And did I say that it will be Orange with white stripes?
Not Ranked     

diiulio,

Don't give up on the 460. Build the car the way you want to! The Weavers at Unique do install 460's in thier cars. Didn't use to but the demand was great enough that they had to. It is a tight fit but will work. In fact, they were working on one when I picked up mine in January.

All of the advice is good but the bottom line is that you are the one building the car and the one that has to be satisfied with the end results!

I should know. I put a cleveland in mine and painted it orange with white stripes And you know what? Everyone loves the car

Have Fun!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Brand builders
Not Ranked     

Let's talk about handling for a moment...The 460 is so heavy that the car pushes in the corners terribly.

We have here a 460, a 351 and a 302. The 460 is HUGE in the engine compartment! The Momar Fuel injected 302 beats the 460 the 1st 1/3 of a 1/4 mile. For over-all driving fun the 351 is a great motor. Not too heavy and lots of HP.