Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2004, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool New member!!!

I just want to take a minute to introduce myself to this forum. My name is Eric Simone, and I have been working as an engine build tech./dyno operator here in the Detroit area for some years now.
I'm a veteran of the Winston Cup ranks as a former Roush Racing employee, and I recently left a reputable Ford oriented race shop in Dearborn Heights Mich. There we did everything from street resto/perf. to IHRA 800+ cubic inch Pro-Stock engines, along with some big boost F.I. small block stuff and big nitrous Top sportsman style 385 series engines.

I am currently employed as a Tech. rep. for Diamond Racing in Clinton Twp. Michigan, and for those of you who aren't aware, we make custom forged pistons for every application up to and including NHRA Pro Stock 500 c.i., 9,500 rpm applications.

I consider myself a real "sick" Ford fan, as I have preferred them since I've purchased my first set of tools. I have a particular knack for the Boss 429 engine, as I have built several, and own many rare parts for them as well.

I would like to volunteer my help to any member of this forum with any engine/piston/c.r./rotating assembly or engine build questions that anyone might have. We here at Diamond have a great line of pistons already, and I'm trying to really expand the Ford line of what we offer in the FE and 385 series engines. Any input from the members on what is needed out there to fill the need of folks building a 385 series engine for their Cobra is greatly appreciated.

Please don't hesitate to call me at 586-792-6620 or 877-552-2112 m-f 8a-5p, or mail me at esimone@diamondracing.net

Thanks!!!!!!
Eric Simone
Old 01-28-2004, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66,clasic 351w,what a dog,needs boss 42
Send a message via AIM to wboss429 Send a message via Yahoo to wboss429
Not Ranked     

hi
i also have boss429s, and build and tune on them,i have nhra,and ihra stuff ,and il be helping on a ihra prostock team(part time) this year ,all the while trying to drag my 632 hemi mustsang to the track,in my own deal,i like to help boss and wedge guys,as much as poss

i have boss 429,ar hemi ,and the latest boss parts for sale,

lets talk sometime..............

i buy sell and trade,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, boss
Old 01-29-2004, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool Thanks fro the heads up!

I too love the Boss 9 engine, and have been able to build a few of these things over the years, and I even owned 1 real car (KK1542) and a real Can-Am aluminum engine that has since been sold. My best memories come from helping Chris Holbrook with his IHRA Pro-Stock engine program at Livernois Motorsports while I was there. Pulling the stick on the dyno was the most nervous, but the most fun and rewarding time I've ever had in this industry.

He built engines for himself and Chuck DeMory, as they teamed up for the 2003 season. It was full of ups and downs, but Chuck had his best season points wise, ever, and this year Chris has planted his own flag in Livonia following in his fathers' footsteps. Chris is still going to be involved in IHRA Pro Stock as Chuck's engine builder and crew chief, while trying to grow his engine shop this year.

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call me here at Diamond Racing (586-792-6620) or give Chris a call at his new shop, Holbrook Racing Engines at (734-762-4315) His knowledge and skill as a long-time Ford engine builder, and race car driver is up there with the best in the industry, in my opinion.

Good luck this year!!!

Eric Simone
Diamond Racing(.net)
Old 01-29-2004, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hi

lol i was just at chucks house the other night, buying some parts from him, he said i need to get a hold of chris too, to let him know about some of the latest boss stuff i have,

i have to ask why did u sell the can?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i also talk w/him on being a part of his prostock deal this year, when time alows
Old 01-29-2004, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Eric - A really light weight, fairly inexpensive 385 alloy block that will take both wedge and hemi heads is what we really need for Cobras. Such a block would bring the boys out to play with the chebbys and give heartburn to the heartbeat. It wouldn't have to be cast heavy like a blower block is or anything, maybe with a 4.6 inch bore w/ steel liners. I could only wish anyhow. Welcome to the club. Keep in touch and keep us straight. BTW- I'm in NHRA territory, and I think you know some of the guys that float around these parts.
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 01-29-2004 at 11:20 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile there is a block that exists!!

The Motorsport alum. block they have in the catalog that RDI sells will accept wedge and Hemi heads both. The water jacket holes in the deck are round, and you can plug-off or drill your own holes in the deck if you need to, and actually I think they're more reasonable than the Shelby blocks for the FE's. The FE guys are getting their eyes gouged out by Shelby on his alum. block, I think they're over $5,000! The 10.300" deck wet sump water jacketed block from RDI is $4,800-$4,900.

The nice thing is that the RDI block will go 4.600" and even bigger on the bores, all you have to do is pay someone like Holbrook to bore/hone or re-sleeve this thing, and you're good to go. The part number is M-6010-A96.

Be cool, thanks for the welcome!!

Eric
Old 01-30-2004, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Welcome Eric! Accumulative knowledgeis always greater than it's sum
Old 02-01-2004, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Eric - I have a Motorsports short deck aluminum block I was originally going to use for my Cobra. But after thinking things out really well (?) I used a iron dive block from the junkyard. Trust me, it's not about the money, as they both weighed exactly the same. As for a Shelby block, in a Cobra it's the holy grail. That block weighs only 100 lbs dripping wet. And they can be lightened a bit too! Yes I know performance heads are a problem with them and they are limited to about 500 cubes, but in a Cobra platform they really work. The Ole' man ain't dumb you know.
BTW - did you know that a Mopar hemi megga block only weighs 8 more pounds than a dove two bolt block? I have one of those too.
As you can see the rules for Cobras are NOT quite the same as is for hotrodders in general. I also think you will find that most of the guys that report to this board, shall we say, are quite experienced? Still lookin' for that lightweight 385 performance block.
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 02-01-2004 at 07:36 AM..
Old 02-01-2004, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hi ron

how much for the alum block,10.300 deck?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

wboss429- Donno what your question means but wil attemp to answer it anywhay.
The aluminum block itself weighed 187lbs on my bathroom scales. The Dive block I used weighed 204lbs stock but I ground out about 8lbs before boring, decking and line honing the block. The total weight of the engine w/Blue Thunder heads together with the Vortec supercharger was 545lbs, drop in weight. I got the aluminum 385 block, together with 6 other big blocks of all makes, in a deal for a old Jeep. Donno what I got in it, but I'm guessing it worth maybe 4k ????. Don't plan on selling or even using it soon. Can't say that for the Chrysler megga block though.
I'm putting parts togerther for a 575 cube blown engine right now. The guys at Indy cylinder head seem to like my money right now on another project car.
cobrashock