Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 460
Not Ranked     
Default mech roller cam (460)

new member, recent engine rebuild has me paranoid . started with a 460 "crate" 535 h.p. in 1999, april 2002 lost lobe on cam.
had engine rebuilt with a comp cams mech roller. specs are 248 intake 254 exh. @ .050. was told that this is a relatively "mild" street roller however what i'm reading on the forum is not encouraging. motor has 1200 mi. and is runng well. am concerned about the "lifter situation" . comp has introduced a re designed lifter with grooves for better oiling. plan to remove and inspect lifters soon, and possibly change to the new design. any comments would be appreciated.

john
Old 02-11-2004, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

John - You didn't give us a part numbers or the lift numbers on the Comp cam but I can tell you it's the total lift and the agressive ramps on the factory cams that are the bad guys. I'm using a .65 lift Comp solid roller and lifters w/Crane rockers. I would run a .62I/.63E stick or there abouts on the street w/hyd. rollers if I were to switch over, but I've had no problems with the old style Comp lifters and my current setup either. I really like the steel roller rockers that Comp makes a bunch, as they are the absolute berrys for a street engine. A double spring setup instead of triple springs are all you really will need at those lifts too. Don't let anyone talk you into restricting the oil to the top side of your engine either.(drag racers trick) Such games played will lead to lifter/cam failure for sure on a street engine. Welcome to the club.
cobrashock
Old 02-12-2004, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron
Many thanks for your reply, i'll give you the info. i have on the cam card.
part# 34-772-9, grind# ff xr286 r-10, gross valve lift .664 exh. .671 intake duration @ .015, tappet lift 286 intake 292 exh.
lobe lift .3840 intake, .3880 exh.
hope these specs help.....
i'm planning to remove the intake and take out and inspect the lifters for my own piece of mind. if all is well i'll put it back together and go from there. eric at performance eng. built the motor and i think did a great job. again thanks for the feedback. i REALLY appreciate it....

john
Old 02-17-2004, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John - that cam is sorta right on the edge of what I would run on the street. I think I would use that bumpstick and switch over to hyd. rollers though. That is, if I were planning on taking that car out on any trips. You will most likely have to replace the rockers every 2 or 3 years. I keep another set around, then when I pull them I send the old ones in for a rebuild that rotate back in the motor later. Don't let anyone "tune" your rockers (intake ports) by going to a 1.6 rocker with that bump stick. I assume you have the standard 1.7's on there now. If you get a rich or lean runner I would change intake manifold. Sounds like your good to go, and Eric enjoys a good reputation on this board for well built engines.
cobrashock
Old 02-17-2004, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron
thanks for the reply. you have confirmed my thoughts about this setup. I usually don't take any more than about a hundred mile
(round trip). I have some health issues (back) that make it difficult to travel. i'm going closely monitor (i.e.) a check of lifters rockers and the valve train in general at least once a year.
i usually put on about 12 to 1500 mi. during the summer. right now i have 1200 mi. on the motor since eric rebuilt it for me. a good friend of mine who is a top notch mechanic and part time drag racer said he wouldn't worry this year but to look at it next winter. what are your thoughts on isky "red zone" lifters? very pricey but they may be worth it if they save a potential future disaster. this motor is "fabulous" and i would like to keep it EXACTLY like it is now. anyway thanks for your input, it's good for my mental health! :

john klacik
Old 02-23-2004, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John - Don't know a thing about the Red Zone lifters, zelch. The program logic you've outlined above is spot on though. Don't forget to keep records of what you do to the car, engine and etc. together with numbers and costs.

Disaster only awaits those that are not vigilant. - Ronald Reagan.

cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 02-23-2004 at 07:03 PM..