Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR---460
Not Ranked     
Default Sleeving a "D0VE"

Hey, I'm also a new guy on the block. My question is, will sleeving a "385" block, mine is a 460, be risky if wanting to build a 500hp engine with aluminum heads? The block is a D0VE and two cylindes will have to be sleeved. .060 will not clean it up! Please help me decide. GK

Last edited by BBCobra; 02-12-2004 at 08:20 PM..
Old 02-12-2004, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to IntimidatorI
Not Ranked     

IMHO, I have a DOVE 429/460 in my car and these engines make 500 HP rather easily. IF the sleeving is done properly I don't see a problem. The biggest challenge with these engines is oiling. Since you are using alum heads, make sure you open up the return path for oil drain back. These engines tend to gather oil in the top end especially at high rpm. The other thing that would be good is for all bores to be standard clean up if possible. That way your sleeved cylinders will have a better chance of cooling properly.

Just my 2 cents worth.
eric
1967 Cobra 427 SC by CanAmMotorCars, Chassis #2
Old 02-13-2004, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I always thought a good 385 block would go .080 or larger without any problems.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Woodz428 - depends on factory core shift, regardless of block casting. If you are holding the bores to a thirty over and just opening up the holes, a sleeve will work fine in almost all cases on a dove block.
BBcobra - if you are already at sixty over on all your holes I would have that block sonic checked before you sleeve it. Odds are you may not like what you will hear I'd bet. Better now than later though. If the offending hole is the only one sixty out then I would make it a thirty over engine, sleeve it and forget the sonic check. If you get a all clear with the sonic check, a well applied sleeve is ok to use on the sixty over engine. I sonic check all my blocks because I have them bored off a deck plate a certain special way to "staighten" the holes. Sonic checking removes the doubts.
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 02-14-2004 at 06:14 AM..
Old 02-15-2004, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys, I think sleeving will be in the plan. I'll hold the bore to
.030. It's very reassuring to hear the same basic answer from you! Thanks, Greg K.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66,clasic 351w,what a dog,needs boss 42
Send a message via AIM to wboss429 Send a message via Yahoo to wboss429
Not Ranked     

we have 3 sleves in one engine,.80 over makes 800 hp,1095 on spray
and no we dont fill em,we have gone to 110 over ,thease run gas,some r 12.5 to one others are 14.1 comp,,

30 over,youll be fine,
Old 02-20-2004, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Sleeve it

Just my $.02

I have a 72 429 block out of a Lincolin it has all 8 cylindars sleeved back to factory specs. Honed with a torque plate and just got off the dyno at 415 to the rear wheels. Motor is over 500hp and it see's 6.3K at the track all day long. I would suggest the oil return mod in the heads, make sure that you have a good machine shop, not all are created equal................ Oh, I have 7K miles on the motor most of them track events.

Keep it above 100...............

Brian
Old 02-20-2004, 04:11 PM
30 Year Wait is Over
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1630 '70 429 SCJ / 501
Not Ranked     

For around $1,000 or so you can get a good D0VE on eBay. Just keep your eyes open. Other places like Perogie Enterprises also have them. Personally, I would want good factory metal just in case something goes wrong with the repair and a dud engine gets build and then blows. You may be penny wise and pound foolish.

Q: What makes a good racer?
A: Size 14 shoe, size 2 hat.

Buddy Baker, NASCAR Hero
Old 02-23-2004, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I'm having 2 cylinders sleeved and going with .030 over. Crank is being turned this week. I also ordered pistons so my machinest can bore match to pistons. We are also going to bore and hone with a torque plate!!! The pistons are SpeedPro hypereutectics H535P. These are flat tops that make 10.2cr with 75cc heads. Thanks for the ongoing info!!! GK