Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking New 385 Series Pistons!! Finally!!

For all of you that may be interested out there, we here at Diamond Racing are finally ready to start offering a full line of shelf-stock forged pistons for all the 385-series Fords. They are not as of yet posted on our website, as the ink on the engineering master sheets is still wet!

I know we might be a little late to the game, but we wanted to make our offerings in the most popular configurations, covering 95% of the available cylinder heads, and include some stroker applications as well. We have chosen to make 3 different pistons, (1) for the stock, & CJ heads, (1) for the New SCJ Kaase heads, and (1) for the TFS/"A" head.

Some of our pistons will be "shelf stock", while others will be "Non-stocking". Our definition of non-stocking is a piston that we sell it at a shelf stock price, but we don't keep them on the shelf. All of the engineering is done, and a part number is assigned, but a 10 to 14 day turn around is required to make the pistons "to order".

We are offering flat-tops in bore sizes from 4.390", 4.400", 4.420", & 4.440", and street friendly dished pistons in the same bore sizes. The TFS/A head stuff starts at 4.440" and goes up to 4.600"!
The strokes covered are the stock 460 crank (3.850"), the 514 stroke crank (4.150"), and the 521/533 stroke (4.300") crank.

For the TFS/A head flat tops, we are doing them in a 4.150", 4.300", & 4.500" stroke variety for the bracket/big HP guys. Note: We do NOT reccomend that any of our 4.300" stroke pistons to be used with a 4.500" stroke and a shorter rod! Only the listed rod/crank/stroke combo's apply, due to skirt profiles and cylnder length concerns.

Our offerings have x-tra deep valve reliefs so you guys can run big cams, and they have a lowered ring pack so they can be used with a power adder.

We are offering these in a .990" pin as well as a 1.040" pin diameter, so you budget minded guys running a "stock type" head can use stock rods, instead of having to move up to an "H" beam or re-bush your stock rods.

Now for the money part. All the flat-tops will sell at $587.60 jobber price, including pins and pin fit. The dished pistons will be $599.20 jobber price, and also come with pins and pin fit.
WD and MWD pricing is also available to our already established wholesale customers (you know who you are).

Please contact me, Eric Simone here at Diamond Racing at our toll free number, 1-877-552-2112 and I will send you by either fax or e-mail a complete spreadsheet of all our 385 series part numbers and their applications. Hopefully in the next few weeks, we will have these posted on our website, www.Diamondracing.net.
Happy engine building, and THANKS!!!!
P.S. For all you F.E. guys, a complete line of F.E. pistons is coming soon!!
Eric
Old 04-05-2004, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Eric: The web link is not working?????????

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-05-2004, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hope its working!!! Try esimone@diamondracing.net
Old 04-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

Website still doesn't work.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your e-mail got thru. Did you use the link from the website, or my e-mail address esimone@diamondracing.net?

Hope you recieved the spreadsheets ok, contact me if you want to discuss any of our pistons at 1-877-552-2112

Thank You!!!! I will advise I.T. that the website may be having some probs.

Eric
Old 04-06-2004, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Where were you guys the last time I built a stockish 460?
Are your stock flatops forged, power forged, or cast?
cobrashock
Old 04-06-2004, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the interest in our stuff. FYI, ALL of our pistons are forged and they have been since our inception 35 years ago. We make our own forging dies, and all our blanks are forged for us exclusively and shipped here where they are machined in-house.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by powerforged, all forgings are formed under 100's of tons of pressure to promote material density and thermal stability. To me, the term "powerforged" is an old TRW term they used to market an entire line of pistons for the last 25 to 30 years. We have never made a cast piston here at Diamond, and I don't think we're going to start anytime soon.

Let me know if I can send you the spreadsheets outlining what we're now offering and if I can help you in the future.

Thanks!!!

Eric
Old 04-07-2004, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Eric - Power forging is a piston that has a much higher silicone content than normal forged pistons. They are a bit heavier than regular forged pistons but the advantage is they have is reduced piston slap on cold startups, together with less thermal expansion.
Yes TRW used to, and still does I think, sell them. TRW's are generally a heavy, heavy, heavy slipper skirt powerforged casting.
Think of the hypereutectic process being used on a forging. A few engine builders use them on street engines around these parts. JE swirl/Quench pistons are such a design for example.
I'll keep you guys in mind the next time we scratch build a engine.
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 04-07-2004 at 09:11 AM..
Old 04-07-2004, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool

Thanks Ron. Give us a try, I think you'll like our stuff.

Eric
Old 05-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I received my Diamond pistons yesterday and they are impressive. Dropped them off at my machinist's today and he was very impressed with the machine work and the weight. We weighed them against a very similar Pr*be piston and they were 120 grams lighter and had better shaped skirts too. I would compare them with JE with the Diamonds coming out on top. Thanks Eric.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink Thank You!!!

Glad you're happy with our stuff!!! Keep me and all of us posted on the progress of your engine.

Thank you for the nice compliments, I've sent a copy of your post to the owner of Diamond, he loves to see good feedback!!

Thanks!!

Eric
Old 05-20-2004, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Dish

How big is dish and how low could you get compression on 385 stroke, .30 over, 86 cc head? I'm building superharged motor and hate the idea of waiting and paying for custom pistons. Mike
Old 05-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Email or call Eric Simone and get him to fax or email their piston offering lists to you. There are several choices depending on your heads.