Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Arrow

Hi,
No photo of the shroud, got a factory black plastic one the right size at the auto wreckers,best $20 I ever spent on the car. The shroud works so good that I took the 2nd fan[mechanical flex fan] off, didn't need it anymore.

Jay, good cold air idea for your blower, can't wait to see the beast.
Perry.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Ernie,

Unique's all have those vents behind the tire in the wheel well....intended as exits for air routed to cool the front brakes. Never thought of the possible side benefit of additional airflow over the headers.....can't hurt.

I've never seen more than 200 on the gauge with twin pushers, and enormous Griffin aluminium radiator. The gauge reads constant 160 at cruise, but I'm sure reads low. Checked with an IR thermometer, and it indicated 180 at the water pump.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 05-27-2004 at 06:46 AM..
Old 05-27-2004, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default I will be using Evans on startup

For my rebuilt 514. Will report on temps and such, asap. One nice thing about this stuff is that it does not evaporate and it never needs to be changed/replaced.
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 05-27-2004, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

jjtarnow,

How do you like your Evans NPG+? I was looking into that and it sounds very cool...basically a pressureless system. Now, I was reading the technical specs on their website and it looks like the specific heat capacity of the NPG is not nearly as good as plain water... few things are as good. Or do I have my specific heat values backwards. I forget which is "better" for cooling applications, a higher number or a lower number. H.S. Physics wasn't just yesterday.

I am getting ready to do a complete drain and refill (had to take the water pump off for some machine work...long story) and was wondering about refilling with the Evans stuff. At a minimum, going to use the Water Wetter and Distilled Water, but was thinking of going for the NPG+.... what have your experiences been?

JP
Old 05-27-2004, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514ci, 5sp Tremec
Not Ranked     

JP,

So far so good (only had the car for 6 weeks..but the weather has been hot and traffic slow. The other benefit of Evans NPG+ is that it is non-corrosive and really saves the cooling system (metal and hoses). In terms of the specific heat values i'm not quite sure which direction is "better".

Josh
Old 05-27-2004, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you run the car at all with traditional cooling (50/50 or some variant thereof) before the NPG+? Just curious if you saw any real difference in temps. Sounds like different temp isn't really the primary benefit...more like capacity to run higher temp w/o boilover.

Thanks for the feedback!
JP
Old 05-27-2004, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

Someone in one of the forums mentioned if when driving on the freeway, with the steady stream of air running through your radiator and it runs cool, your running the right size radiator. If as soon as you loose this air it starts heating up, GET A SHROUD with a good fan. Running a fan without the shroud is not giving you 100%. I ordered a shroud/fan setup from Vintage Air ($199) and now I can get stuck in traffic, idle for prolonged times and not worry about the tempt anymore. Running at 190 now. Man, what a difference. Before I was just using a big fan and no shroud and it would normally be in the 200's +.
Bob
Old 05-27-2004, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514ci, 5sp Tremec
Not Ranked     

JP,

The motor has been water free since built. The real benefits seem to be the elimination of boil over and increased longevity of the system. At first you may think $25 a gallon is expensive but the stuff lasts 500k miles and the benefits of elminating boil over actually make it inexpensive (no, I have nothing to do with the company!).

Josh
Old 05-27-2004, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

haha, Josh...

I'm sure you don't have anything to do w/ Evans. I read darn near their whole website and am placing an order for 4 gallons tonight as well as their "flush" solution.

Looks like a wiener to me....
Old 06-15-2004, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Would like to share some info on the cooling problems with the 514 ford, I have tried most of the fixes in the above treads, but the one that really did the trick for me is to install an EFI that we where able to set our own advance curve in our laptop.My point is at idle 30 degrees advanced with 195 degree thermostat runs 200 degrees at a 93 degree outside temp runs highway, city an setting idle.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five,blown 588 cu. in. ford
Not Ranked     

My 588 cu.in. blown engine runs very hot,about 245.at idle it comes down to about 195,i think the water pump is pushing the water threw the radiator to fast and not giving it time to cool.a old trick is to replace the thermostat with a washer with a small hole in it.has any one tiied this?