Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf1266 460,TKO,titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     
Default New Heads

I have a SPF Cobra with a 460ci 485hp Ford Crate engine that was installed back in 02" with aluminum cobra jet heads. I've been thinking of changing out the heads to the newer Jon Kaase super cobra jet heads. I'm not a mechanic and was wondering if the newer heads were a straight bolt on or if other mods are necessary for the install. How much increased HP am I looking at with these heads. I'm running a Holley 750cfm carb and a Performer RPM manifold.
1967 Pontiac GTO Ram Air
1962 Thunderbird Conv.
1991 Mustang GT Built
Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

I believe those are the P-51 heads. I would just give Jon a call and talk to him about them. I think they are supposed to be good for a 50 hp increase. The P-51 heads are configured differently, but the big question is... what would be the difference in having your heads profesionally ported vs the P-51? It would be much cheaper to port your existing heads than purchasing new ones. I have been thinking of this very same thing. I know Keith Craft has a CNC port program for the Cobra jet head, I'd give him a call as well.
Good luck and keep me posted,
Tim
Old 08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

If you have studs, instead of head bolts, you may have to remove the engine, or raise it up to swap the heads.

The P-51's are worth the money in my opinion.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Greg,

P-51 heads may require new pistons too since the valve angles are different from stock. Also valves and pushrods. Und so weiter...

Question: can you floor the throttle in any gear with street tires without ending up in the trees? If so, and you are looking for more HP I'd suggest getting the thing tuned by a pro.

It's unusual to hear of a 460 that doesn't have more torque than street tires can stand up to - even the relatively tame one you have.

Or are there other reasons that don't appear in your original message?

Let us know,

Tom
Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Heads

You will have to have new pistons with those heads and more than likely longer pushrods. I have not seen that much power over the heads that you have after porting is done. I would look at doing the heads that you ahve and doing a good tune on the car. You do not say anything about the camshaft or compression you have. These may be all areas of improvement for the engine. Thanks, Keith Craft
Old 08-19-2008, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kirkham 427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default 460 Heads

Hey Keith Its Rich Ferrara You Just Sent Me My 547ci Monster Back And For All You Who Are Reading I Have The P-51 Heads With A Matched Cam And Keith Dynoed It At 904 At 6800 Pretty Impressive Even Keith And Tony Were Surprised It Should Lift My 67 Fairlane Pretty High
Old 08-20-2008, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf1266 460,TKO,titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Its a Ford Racing Hydraulic Cam M-6250- A443 with .562 intake and .588 exhaust, duration at .050" is 234 intake and 244 exhaust. Compression ratio is 10.5. It doesn't feel like it has enough torque, I have a hard time spinning the tires at will. So more HP and torque is a must.
1967 Pontiac GTO Ram Air
1962 Thunderbird Conv.
1991 Mustang GT Built
Old 08-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Greg,

If it won't spin the tires gratuitously you have a definite tune/defective engine parts problem.

Find someone local to diagnose and tune before you do anything else.

With that engine in that car you should be able to scare eighteen years off your life any time you get past half throttle in any gear

Tom
Old 08-20-2008, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

wizard man,

Can you give me some details on you 547? Im building a aluminum 565 right now and im looking to make that kind of power on pump gas.
How big is your cam? whats your comp ratio?

Thanks

Jason
Old 09-01-2008, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 931 mangled in parkinglot incident - traded for new house roof <sob>
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
Its a Ford Racing Hydraulic Cam M-6250- A443 with .562 intake and .588 exhaust, duration at .050" is 234 intake and 244 exhaust. Compression ratio is 10.5. It doesn't feel like it has enough torque, I have a hard time spinning the tires at will. So more HP and torque is a must.
Before doing anything up top, redo your factory side pipes. You can have all the power up top you can afford, but exhaling through a straw will only limit your returns. The easiest thing would be to just replace your factory muffler(the straw) with a Howe racing muffler. You can even get more fancy with your side pipe layout.

After that, SCJ heads will flow almost as well as P51's with a good port job. Then swap out your rotating assembly and cam to your liking.

McRoof