Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     
Default Antifreeze problem

Hey Guys,

My car is a year old (July). 3K miles 460 motor. I noticed a leak from the thermostat housing recently, so I snugged the bolts. Couple of days ago I noticed a spurt of light brown from the housing that sprayed back to the fire wall. I opened the reservoir today and noticed a frothy light brown layer on top of my antifreeze. I checked the dip stick and the oil looks fine. The car has not run hot and I dont drive it too hard (meaning I dont tach it out to redline)

Thoughts? Of course I am nervous that it is oil....

Chris 2626
Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     

have you tried to change your coolant at any time in those 3000 miles?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No original coolant.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

it could be that you've got alittle rust in the water jacket and you might not of rinsed out the block quit enough to get all the soap out. flush your system and try again. no antifreeze. just water and waterwetter. see what happens. i am not a fan of antifreeze anyway. racetracks dont like it. it stinks it stains and unless you park outside in below freezing temp. you dont need it. water and waterwetter!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Don't go by what the racers do. They have a different agenda. Many tracks don't allow antifreeze since it becomes very slippery when it gets on the track.

If I had a car that was pretty much a cruiser I would run 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water. The antifreeze gives you a little boilover protection as well as preventing corrosion and lubricating the water pump.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 09-18-2008 at 05:46 PM..
Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I live in NY so I need protection from the cold. Any recommendations on the flush process. Dont want to make a mess of the engine compartment.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
Don't go by what the racers do. They have a different agenda.

If I had a car that was pretty much a cruiser I would run 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water. The antifreeze gives you a little boilover protection as well as preventing corrosion and lubricating the water pump.

Bob
yur right bob.................what do racers know anyway. its not like it was an order, just a suggestion. or my idea. yur 50/50 would be your idea or suggestion. have a nice day and peace
Old 09-18-2008, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I am trying to resolve an oil in coolant issue right now. No coolant in oil though. However I have the fe390. I am looking for a bad gasket and hopfully not a cracked block. I should know in the next week or two. I tried to flush it out but the oily sludge seems to always rise back to the top. I added some dishwasher soap to try and break down the oil but it only makes the mess smell lemony. I would contact your engine guy/supplier since yours is fairly new. What do they say? Good luck!

John