Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.86 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Jon Kaase introduces Boss 429 hemi retrofit kit

Source: Hemmings.com as published:
Quote:

" Jon Kaase introduces Boss 429 retrofit kit "

" Ford’s Boss 429 hemi was a loaded weapon intended for the NASCAR arena and aimed squarely at its cross-town rival, Chrysler. Unfortunately, Ford only constructed enough consumer versions to satisfy NASCAR, making them exceedingly rare, and as a consequence, highly valued.

Seeing the potential of Ford’s design and recognizing the lasting appeal of the Boss 429’s visual impact, noted race engine builder Jon Kaase has designed all-new components to create what he’s dubbed the Boss Nine Hemi retrofit kit. The kit is intended to fit on a standard Ford 429/460 Lima-style 385-series V-8 without requiring any custom machine work.

The key to the kit is the aluminum cylinder heads, which have revised ports and combustion chambers along with relocated spark plug locations, to enhance airflow and increase combustion efficiency. A new rocker system has also been devised in conjunction with W.W. Engineering to eliminate the potentially troublesome offset design of the original Boss; Manley valves designed for big-block Chevy engines were utilized to maintain parts availability while avoiding the costs of custom pieces. Similarly, the Boss Nine heads are mounted using stock 460 gaskets for the heads and the intake and exhaust ports; it also retains the stock 429/460 oil drain-back holes.

Kaase’s intake manifold is also revised, though it will fit on Ford’s stock Boss 429 heads. Those revisions allowed the new intake to make 50 more horsepower than Ford’s NASCAR single-plane manifold and 100hp over the stock dual-plane manifolds used on production Boss 429 Mustangs. Kaase’s manifold is offered for 4150-style carburetors or for 4500-series Dominator units.

While he was at it, Kaase also designed a new oil-pump housing for the 429/460 to eliminate the factory pump’s tendency to crack. The crowning touch for the Boss Nine Hemi kit is a pair of stock-appearing rocker covers.

To see and learn more, go to www.JonKaaseracingengines.com. "

- By Terry McGe
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Very

But are there any other intake options? Even without the spacer me thinks you're going to be hard-pressed to clear a Cobra hood.

-Dean
Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Well, . . .

If the new intake will also fit the original heads, . . . . Then one must assume that the original intake will fit the new heads.

________
Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SWEET! I'll never forget the ride I had back around 1978 in a REAL Boss '9 Mustang. Some guy in my old neighborhood had a 1970 that was an original paint Calypso Coral car. He had two motors for the car, the untouched original one, & a "tweaked" one. When he gave me the ride in his car - he called it a "Hemi Eater." I was doing a brake job on my '71 Hemi Charger at the time he pulled up in his rarely-seen Mustang. Let's just say he was applying the gas pedal very gingerly trying to hook-up, & finally started getting some traction somewhere in second gear. By 3rd gear, I was ready to crawl under the dash - the car was scary fast!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Any ideas on pricing? Really interesting to see! I've got a nice 429 Cobra jet block I could get my hands on, MMMM! Any more info would be great! Been to his website and love the new Mustang conversion!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

These heads look sick.

Would love to see the dyno results from a pump gas motor, 514, 557?

E
Old 01-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Asp,

Here's an older dyno run on a 429 If you look at the top of the message you'll see a comment about the output of the 521.

Link: http://www.460ford.com/viewtopic.php...ight=boss+dyno

Either appears adequate for a street engine, which is what Kaase seems to be mostly interested in.

The 521 is in the 900hp area, the 429 produces well over 750hp.

Nice!

Tom
Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Planing Stages
Not Ranked     

So, if i have a 429 / 460 block,crank,rods and all accessories what do i need to have a ''Boss 429 Hemi''? I can assume i must need ''Hemi'' pistons to go with the heads in order to work with the hemispherical style chambers,the heads complete with rockers/shafts,and intake,.custom or std length push rods?...what else and of course how much? Am interested if price is right.

Thanks In Advance,
OB
Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

OB,

Go here:

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com...bbf-heads.html

and all your questions can be answered. Just don't expect an econo-engine LOL

Regards,

Tom
Old 01-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

"Total width of the Kaase Boss Nine engines on a 10.320 385 series block from valve cover to valve cover is 29 inches."

Old 01-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
"Total width of the Kaase Boss Nine engines on a 10.320 385 series block from valve cover to valve cover is 29 inches."

Stock 460 it 26 inches, so it's not that bad. A DOHC, 4.6 motor is 30.0
Old 01-23-2009, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jon has really done a great job with his new Boss 429 heads.
A basic package of heads complete with springs,valves,retainers,and rocker arms as well as valve covers is $6000
His new manifold is I think $700
And yes,the stock B9 manifold or the Blue Thunder dual quad will fit but not make quite the HP
Flat top pistons are the order of the day with this combo.
When I get around to building a Cobra it will have a Boss 429 under the bonnet
Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I think that combustion chamber is more "simi" than "hemi," but you cannot argue with the results.

Me thinks the reason it can use a flat piston is that it is a canted valve on stearoids design.

I would love to have one. It might even be worth bastardizing a Cobra to have a shaker hood to get that manifold on it. I will likely never go that route.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
I think that combustion chamber is more "simi" than "hemi," but you cannot argue with the results.

Me thinks the reason it can use a flat piston is that it is a canted valve on stearoids design.

I would love to have one. It might even be worth bastardizing a Cobra to have a shaker hood to get that manifold on it. I will likely never go that route.
Harwood makes very nice looking scoops,Too bad it is such a hassle to post pictures,I could send pictures of mine.My 460 with correct air filter for motor to breath needed a scoop modification.