Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ANTIQUE AND COLLECTABLEFORD 460
Not Ranked     
Default Problems carb or fuel pump

I drove my cobra this weekend for about 20 min and spun some rubber around the development, when i pulled in the driveway i notices a little miss, a little miss turned into the engine not ideling right. I seen some black pepper size particals in the filter between the carb and pump. I checked the canester filter at the gas tank and thare was no sign of anything, the filter is like 5 or 10 micron. I have a mechanical summit fuel pump by the way. I am thinking that from me geting on the pedel to hard i beat up some thing in the pump, maybe thats whare all the particals came from. And now maybe the carb is clogged. I have one of those spectra glass filters whare you can see the fuel. It dosen't look like it is flowing consistantly should it be full at all times. Anyway it will not idel but it will run if i stay on the pedel. I also smell a lot of fuel. What procedures sould i take now. Help!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2864 MK III ROUSH 427R
Not Ranked     

Even if your fuel filters are dirty after you change them, you need to check your fuel pressure. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If not you will need to get one to see if your pump is putting out the correct pressure. What type of carb are you running? If it is a Holley they are are very sensitive to both low and high fuel pressures. Most Holleys need between 5 and 7 lbs of pressure to operate correctly. More or less and they will lean out or run rich.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

It doesn't matter how hard you ever get on it, the pump doesn't know the difference, it just pumps...
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

You didn`t say whether it was a Holley or not , but if trash gets under the float needle valve , it can cause what you are experiencing . If you saw trash in the filter , probably that`s what under the needle seat . I`ve had that happen several times . Remove the needle valve(s) , clean it/them , reset your float levels and you should be ok .
One thing that bothers me is that you said you had a glass filter ?? I don`t know any racing organization that will allow one of those because of the potential for breakage and then fire .
Old 03-10-2009, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ANTIQUE AND COLLECTABLEFORD 460
Not Ranked     

I have a edelbrock proformer 750 carb , and i will be changing that filter, i was thinking the same thing when i installed it, didn't like it one bit.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

I would start by taking out the fuel level plugs in the side of the carb. with the engine running. If fuel runs out you may have some crap in the needle and seat. Then just pull it out and clean it and reinstall and reset the float level.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: