View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Lima - After reading your post above I would say you've hit the same wall I hit a few years back. Looking ALL the stuff over I could find a few years ago I went with a Coan turbo 400 with a first gear change. Mind you this was not a race car($$$) based tranny, just a modified street tranny. Wasn't happy. I finally said the hell with it and bought a Coan glide with an approved case. A Gear Venders overdrive unit will go into it somtime this summer. But I'm lucky. I have a 98 inch wheelbase car and I have the room for that box. Most Cobras don't.
The fact that cars are engineered by committees has made me mad for several years. G.M. is by far the worst in that regard. Keep a pluggin'. I hear that Art Carr is back at it again somewhere in California. Maybe he can straighten up a E4OD for you. A vist to Coan in Kokomo Ind. is just a trip up the pike from you. Maybe they can figure out something off the wall that will work for you. BTW- I get the feeling that you would be happy with a lock up converter tranny if you could get the bugs worked out. I personally have ruled out ALL lockup converter trannys because you can't get smaller converters with them. Maybe some day smaller converters will be in front of those boxs.
A modified C-4 with a Gear Venders OD would be a very trick piece for 3200 lbs car in my mind too. Anyway, Good Luck!
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 01-20-2004 at 09:14 PM..