View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 67 Shell Valley - Kevlar; 514:TKO
Send a message via AIM to Jahred
Not Ranked     
Default Intercooler/forced induction........

Somebody tell me if I'm about to do something stupid here......

I've been thinking for some time about how to get more, better and cooler air to the cobra. I'm driven to an extent by the low compression in the 514. Seems like there is alot of room there for a tighter fuel mixture.

I have rigged an electric 300 CFM (one so far) blower which is set up to draw all its air through a fairly extensive web of copper tubing imbedded in dry ice.

I know the 514 will draw closer to 1100 CFM, but with the set up it will draw it, I think, with a 300 CFM head start, and through the freeze dried maze of copper. I have not measured the drop in temp yet. Hope to do that soon. Am expecting a pretty short throw from the blower to the carb. But it won't be a closed system as with a typical superchager.

Any thoughts on this? Anything in dry ice vapors that would be damaging to the engine? I am not really expecting alot of functionality from the blower, other than to force colder air in front of warmer air that might otherwise enter the system.

I did a search on the net some time ago and certainly did not come up with anything positive about home made forced induction. So this may be more like a fancy ram air system with some cooling.....

Any thoughts in advance of actually installing this thing appreciated........long ways to go till spring. I must be getting the fever........