View Single Post
Old 02-13-2004, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 69 Mach 1
Send a message via Yahoo to asswit
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the great info. and the web link.

Guess I will start at the top. Measured the input shaft and do have the 10 spline (1 1/16) but as you told me to look for it does have the short .75" inch pilot.

Solution: Buy new input shart w/ longer pilot. Is this something I can swap out myself or are springs & gears going to pop out all over the place?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purchased a driveshaft (e-bay) that seller said was from a standard tranny 351 Windsor. Not verified, at garage w/ friends getting new u-joints.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opened up the top cover and all looks to be in good order from the untrained eye. (First time looking into one of these lots of gears in there) No metal shavings and gear teeth look in good shape. One thing that I did notice is that there is side to side play in the input shaft however. Is this normal? seems sloppy to me.
Also there was no gasket on the top cover.

Is there anything in particular that I should look for out of place or worn? What would be some criteria for needing a rebuild?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Measured and have 14" tailshaft housing.
Rechecked # and I may have mistaken C5O for C6O which from the web site will fit the 390 but also small blocks like 302 and 289 are listed but not 351.
So I am not sure if this will work or not? since 351 is a small block

My shifter linkage plate does mount in the center of the 14" shaft much like the picture shown. But the tailshaft listed for the 351 looks to be set up for the shifter to be at the rear of the shaft.

My tailshaft does however (unlike the photo) have bump outs that look like they could be drilled out where the rear mounting of the shifter could happen.

Double checked the site for the bellhousing # and if you look further down the list C5AA-6394-B is listed as 69-73 302.
Looks like the FE is the "-A"
However the -B only lists 302 ..... 351 is listed under another number altogether.

Do you know if the 302 bell will fit the 351?

Thanks again,
Paul