View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Premier MotorSports
Not Ranked     
Default PREMIER MotorSports--the "benchmark" of cobra manufactures

Repeatedly I notice prospective cobra buyers asking for input regarding the "best" cobra manufacture. The "best" is a relative term but here is my evaluation and analysis based on my criteria which may be of use to those who are contemplating purchasing a cobra.

In my opinion, Premier MotorSports is the "benchmark" by which all other cobras should be judged. This is a small company located in the heartland of Kansas City, Kansas which is quietly developing one of the finest cobras in the world.

When I first contemplated purchasing a cobra, I narrowed my search down to ten cars. From there, I refined the search to five, then to two and eventually selecting Premier MotorSports. My criteria was based on a "balance" of the following: authenticity, ride and handling, body/chassis development, longevity (protection of investment), price, and location.

I have traveled to the east coast, the west coast and the midwest visiting manufactures and test driving cobras. This included ALL of the South African based cars and selected U.S. based manufactures such as B&B, Unique and Shell Valley. The owners of these companies treated me with courtesy and respect.

The primary question, why did I select Premier MotorSports amongst the plethora of quality cobras in today's market? In one breath, Premier was the highest quality, most well balance cobra I have ever driven. With a formula car racing background, handling was a primary concern for me. This proprietary, fully independent suspension system really works. Cowl Shake--forget it! It was the only car I drove that did not display some degree of cowl shake. Some were severe, others were more subtle. I tried to find the roughest roads. Believe me, in Kansas City that is not a difficult task to accomplish. I found the worst of the best roads ( there's a paradox for you). The Premier cobra was highly predictable, sticks like glue and rides like an Infiniti on steroids. Based on my experience, it was in a class by itself.

To the new buyer, do your research and ask questions regarding the type of resin and approach to laying the fiberglass, the thickness and temperature resistance. As one will discover, the bodies are not created equal. Echoing my previous comments, this all ads up to one thing--protection of your investment and longevity. The fit and finish of the Premier is second to none.
Take one visit to the factory and I think you will concure that their approach is unique.

For the serious buyer, who desires top quality at a fair price, I challenge you to compare Premier's cobra to any other manufacture. They have all the pieces in place to be a major player, including owners who are knowledgeable and dedicated; they have surrounded themselves with a solid group of personnel which is the foundation of any successful business.

Take a look at their facilities and talk with the owners. I have devoted considerable time talking with two of the three principal owners, Bob Lockett and Chuck Nickloy. They both bring different styles and intellectual baggage to the cobra business. They both have their strengths and weaknesses which compliment one another. I wish to emphasize that no matter how impressed I was with the car, if I did not trust the owners with whom I was developing a relationship, I would look elsewhere. I have every confidence that if something is not right with the car they will stand behind their product. My hard earned money is buying a tangible product as well as equally important, the intangible-- which is trust.

In conclusion, if you're a serious buyer visit their facilities; you will enjoy the experience. I think you'll agree that Premier MotorSports is truly the "benchmark" by which all other cobra manufactures should be judged.

On a personal note, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new car #007 which is not a Premier (ONLY KIDDING). I just finished building the engine and met with Bob and Chuck two weeks ago to deliver it to their shop. They'll need to set up the motor mounts and fit the exhaust. Needless to say, I can't wait to receive the car. Life is Good!

Keven Shaw,
Lee's Summit