Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2004, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Premier MotorSports
Not Ranked     
Default PREMIER MotorSports--the "benchmark" of cobra manufactures

Repeatedly I notice prospective cobra buyers asking for input regarding the "best" cobra manufacture. The "best" is a relative term but here is my evaluation and analysis based on my criteria which may be of use to those who are contemplating purchasing a cobra.

In my opinion, Premier MotorSports is the "benchmark" by which all other cobras should be judged. This is a small company located in the heartland of Kansas City, Kansas which is quietly developing one of the finest cobras in the world.

When I first contemplated purchasing a cobra, I narrowed my search down to ten cars. From there, I refined the search to five, then to two and eventually selecting Premier MotorSports. My criteria was based on a "balance" of the following: authenticity, ride and handling, body/chassis development, longevity (protection of investment), price, and location.

I have traveled to the east coast, the west coast and the midwest visiting manufactures and test driving cobras. This included ALL of the South African based cars and selected U.S. based manufactures such as B&B, Unique and Shell Valley. The owners of these companies treated me with courtesy and respect.

The primary question, why did I select Premier MotorSports amongst the plethora of quality cobras in today's market? In one breath, Premier was the highest quality, most well balance cobra I have ever driven. With a formula car racing background, handling was a primary concern for me. This proprietary, fully independent suspension system really works. Cowl Shake--forget it! It was the only car I drove that did not display some degree of cowl shake. Some were severe, others were more subtle. I tried to find the roughest roads. Believe me, in Kansas City that is not a difficult task to accomplish. I found the worst of the best roads ( there's a paradox for you). The Premier cobra was highly predictable, sticks like glue and rides like an Infiniti on steroids. Based on my experience, it was in a class by itself.

To the new buyer, do your research and ask questions regarding the type of resin and approach to laying the fiberglass, the thickness and temperature resistance. As one will discover, the bodies are not created equal. Echoing my previous comments, this all ads up to one thing--protection of your investment and longevity. The fit and finish of the Premier is second to none.
Take one visit to the factory and I think you will concure that their approach is unique.

For the serious buyer, who desires top quality at a fair price, I challenge you to compare Premier's cobra to any other manufacture. They have all the pieces in place to be a major player, including owners who are knowledgeable and dedicated; they have surrounded themselves with a solid group of personnel which is the foundation of any successful business.

Take a look at their facilities and talk with the owners. I have devoted considerable time talking with two of the three principal owners, Bob Lockett and Chuck Nickloy. They both bring different styles and intellectual baggage to the cobra business. They both have their strengths and weaknesses which compliment one another. I wish to emphasize that no matter how impressed I was with the car, if I did not trust the owners with whom I was developing a relationship, I would look elsewhere. I have every confidence that if something is not right with the car they will stand behind their product. My hard earned money is buying a tangible product as well as equally important, the intangible-- which is trust.

In conclusion, if you're a serious buyer visit their facilities; you will enjoy the experience. I think you'll agree that Premier MotorSports is truly the "benchmark" by which all other cobra manufactures should be judged.

On a personal note, I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new car #007 which is not a Premier (ONLY KIDDING). I just finished building the engine and met with Bob and Chuck two weeks ago to deliver it to their shop. They'll need to set up the motor mounts and fit the exhaust. Needless to say, I can't wait to receive the car. Life is Good!

Keven Shaw,
Lee's Summit
Old 03-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Keven - You wouldn't be the third principal owner, would you?

Bumpster
Old 03-02-2004, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

How did it compare with a JBL?
Old 03-02-2004, 05:24 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Does anyone else smell something
Old 03-02-2004, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Lets hope they are more customer friendly. I have sent them 3 emails asking for more information and have received nothing. I was plan on visiting in April on my way up to Nebraska and visit my Mom, but I figure if they are too busy any can't return a simple e-mail then heck with them. i going ERA!

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 03-02-2004, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm glad you like your car.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

i really believe that is one of the nicest things about Cobra replicas, in my reading on CC over the past four years, i don't recall any owner regretting his particular choice. There are many fine replicas out there, probably one for just about everybody, and so yours obviously is to you.

Enjoy the ride, welcome to CC, let us know some of your thoughts, have fun, and very importantly, be careful out on the road.

all the best,
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 03-02-2004, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Gregg,

I'm sorry we have missed your inquirys, No excuses.

You can't go wrong with an ERA!

How about stopping on your way through and I'll buy you lunch or supper? If you still would like to take the time, you are more than welcome to see the shop. Saturdays or evenings would be no problem.

My personal email is chuckn@big-w.com
If you would please let me know what email address you sent your inquiry to that we failed to respond to, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Hal,

Your balance is superior, I bet you could walk a tight rope!!

Chuck
Old 03-03-2004, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up More!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmustang

Nothing to smell Bill, Premier did the paint (awesome), side pipe /header ceramic coat and fitting, carpet, inner door panels & leather pouches, fuel tank injection fittings, heater & defroster, fuel gauge & sender, engine & Tremec 5 speed mockup to change trans mount and to check clearance for injection stacks, custom optima battery install & tons of detail work, some of which I am just now seeing on my car. The didn't do a nice job, they did a superior job. I visited their shop to see my Kirkham in progress. Their cars are "a step above", in originality, construction, the grade of parts & material, and unequaled finish!

Keven, If you are 1/3 as happy with your car as I am with mine, you will be overjoyed. Have fun driving!
Old 03-03-2004, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own a Cobra. But love them so much, am Chief Operating Office of a company that builds them.
Not Ranked     

Gregg....

As Chuck has elucidated, I also have missed your E-mails. You may reach me at bobl@big-w.com via email. The office number is 913-321-2112. My private line at work is 913-321-2225. My personal cell number is 913-636-6303 which you may call 24/7.

Bob Lockett, Chief Operating Officer
PREMIER MotorSports, LLC
Old 03-03-2004, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't own a Cobra. But love them so much, am Chief Operating Office of a company that builds them.
Not Ranked     

Sorry.....didn't get finished before the prior message was sent.

Would you please resend the E-mails to which you didn't get a response. Post them here if you can't reach me any other way since we know this forum of communication works.

All the best......and for what its worth, gentlepepople, the experience Mr. Shaw is having with PREMIER is our "benchmark". Its not so much with the cars - although we do try to produce the very best - it is with the people. WE ARE IN THE PEOPLE BUSINESS. So if anyone "smells something".....what you are smelling is a satisfied customer, who REALLY did his homework. you are also smelling a really fine product that provides great client satisfaction. And NO ONE who deals with us or this company is going to smell anything that's not pleasant ---- not on my watch anyway. And you have my word on that.

Regards and the best to all of you across the miles....
Bob Lockett

Bob Lockett, Chief Operating Officer
PREMIER MotorSports, LLC
Old 03-03-2004, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Bumpster

Keven - You wouldn't be the third principal owner, would you?

Bumpster
I can confirm that Keven is legit, and not just trying to do some sneaky marketing in "our" forum. During his research, he brought his wife and daughter over to my house to see and test drive my Unique. They were all exceptionally nice, and I welcome them to the Cobra family.

Congrats Kev! Can't wait to see your new ride!

Russ
Old 03-03-2004, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

Greg,
I was at this years Run & Gun. I had a whiff of a supercharged 4.6 in a cobra....I noticed an aluminum cobra...un-painted. I approached it and as I was looking closer...this guy named Chuck Nickloy was more than happy to pop the hood and let me look at the engine. He no sooner introduced himself then invited me for a ride....just out of the blue! Even at this point he knew I had a Backdraft ordered but he still took the time for a drive....you gotta like these guys!!!! Buy the way...the car ran like a bat outta hell !!!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Gents,

I have known Chuck Nickloy for years. He is a really nice guy and I have never "smelled" anything wrong with him or his company. We have sold him several of our cars and have sent several of our customers his way. They do quite nice work and have always been on time and within, (under), budget with Kirkham. Chuck is a great individual with a great company.

Chuck has helped us over the years with questions on marketing, engineering, and general sales--all without any hidden agenda. He is a true nut case enthusiast...just like most of us.

As for not answering e-mails...I am sure he is better than we are at it. I just wish we were better. Please remember we are all mostly small family owned businesses who never dreamed we would one day be making cars--with all of its attendant headaches. (We were audited last week by workman's compensation and today Utah sales tax called wanting an audit--they don't wait for anyone and don't care how many customers you have to call back.) They don't teach you how to run a company in school and sometimes we just have a hard time making everyone happy.

Love this forum and this industry. I wish more of us could be like Chuck.

David
J.Jensen likes this.
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Must have been me...I'm just getting too cynical in my old age.....I humbly apologize.....

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmustang

Old 03-03-2004, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow! Thanks my friends,

If any credit is due it is to the guys in the shop who put up with me!! They are the ones who are the talented ones!

Nut case . . . . YUP
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2004, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Not One Yet
Not Ranked     

Driving something like that and your going to end up looking like me, with a big bald spot!!

LOOKS scary

But I would love to see the hood scoop??

Thanks Scott
Old 03-03-2004, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Chuck,

You are really suffering from something. Do you have a helment strap just to keep you head on? Just curious if Depends are a standard option or do I have to pay extra?

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 03-03-2004, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Chuck,

You have mail!

Gregg H

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 03-03-2004, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Gregg,

I have come home and will have to check in the AM, or if you would send to me at home. ... chuckn@big-w.com
I will get back to you after supper.

Thanks again!

David,

For you the Depends are free.

Here's one of the hybrid with the blown 4.6 and a couple
other Jewels

Again Thankyou!!

Bill,

when I read the post I thought I smelled something too
Thanks!

Scott,

I'm thinking half a 5 gal paint bucket,

Chuck
Attached Images

Last edited by Chuck Nickloy; 11-28-2014 at 08:27 PM..