View Single Post
Old 04-26-2004, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SVM7688, 427 FE med riser, doug nash 5-speed, 3.54 9 inch locker.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOBRAC

Thanks for the formula Viking. I slept my way through organic chemistry. I was having a problem with diesling in my new 427. got the timing down as low as 8 BTC and the idle at 700. It still wouldn't stop. I was running 76 "premium" 91 octane and nothing I did helped.

I put in a can of hy-per fuel octane booster www.hyperlube.com and the problem cleared itself up. They advertise 7 octane points (not legal for street use)... Either way problem solved. I cranked the static timing back to 12 and the idle back up to 850 worked like a charm, but at $8.00 a pint I'm in over my head.

It seems my 10.5:1 calculations were wrong, they had to be closer to 10.9-11 for it to act this way. Either way I will save a ton with 15% Toluene.

:-)

No problem, after playing around with a few mixtures this one works great for me (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):
100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid, eight bottles for under $3.00, works fine in my 427 cobra, 350 t bucket, 1983 454 truck, wifes 4cyl jeep and the bad a$$ed snapper riding mower..........heck of a profit margin huh ?