View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 Roadster. New BBM Sideoiler Block, 484 cu. in. built by Valley Head & Racing Engines, Northridge CA. installed 3/20/2016
Not Ranked     

Johan
Those tools were a nessessity, and your right they can screw up a center lug. But so can air guns such as the ones used in the IRL and CART.

We built our own, and made the ears not so long that you'd get a ton of torgue with every blow of the hammer. We also put a center pin in the socket that fit a little loose from snug inside the hub to keep the tool lined up straight with the hub. This helped keep damage to the nuts to a minimum.

I don't remember ever having a problem getting a wheel off, or having one come off, for that matter in the years I was involved with the CAN-Am and F-5000. We would replace the nuts with new one's throughout the season so that helps to.

I still have the (knockers) as we called them, and one for the fronts on a Mclaren M8F came in handy getting a tempermental Left Rear off a LOLA INDY Lights car after a qualifying session at Phoenix in 1995.

Never throw away a tool, ya just never know.

Last edited by Bruce Robles; 05-22-2004 at 11:32 AM..