View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

DAVE

Yes you can and I converted my Mountaineer motor to Carb B4 I installed it in my Hunter Build. Here is a list of all my parts:

1997 Mountaineer 5.0, GT-40p heads, FMS pedistal moung 1.6 rollers, Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holley 600 vac. sec., 4 into one headers, trick flow stage one cam, Mallory Unilight Distributor, Mallory Hyfire VI, MSD Coil, Moroso plug wires, canton 9QT road race pan,Tremec 3550 & Mcloed Bellhousing from Fortes.

You will need to get rid of a lot of unnecessary wiring. I startd with a EZ wiring kit which is similar to a Painless Wiring kit. Basically you need to pull the upper and lower intake and replace with a Carb intake like a Performer RPM or a Weyand Stealth for a 302. If you are building a high rpm motor you will need a single plane but expect to loose some low RPM power. I used a 600 holley and it works great but I think a 650 Double Pumper would be better for the light Cobra. I would not go over 650cfm unless you are building a motor designed for 7000rpm and I doubt that is what you are after.

If you notice I used a trick flow stage one cam which has a split pattern on the duration and lift. This favors the exhaust side whick many racers using a carburator say the split pattern helps scavange the cylinder which helps a carb alot. It helps somewhat on a EFI setup but remember the computer might not like the split pattern. Almost all cams were set up this way before cars switched to EFI. Ford heads are notorious for poor exhaust ports so cam grinds were done this way to ovecome this. The GT-40P heads were basically the Old GT-40 heads with exhaust ports raised and rerouted to improve exhaust flow to imporve emmissions and torque. They make great performance heads and are just as good as some of the lower end Aluminum heads.

Good Luck