View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Two comments, guys...first, I do not believe that the safety wire will keep the spinner from coming undone, and wouldn't trust it for that anyway; I DO believe it is just there to give you an indication that the spinner has moved, so leaving a bit of slack in the wire, and wiring it so it goes in the same direction that you tighten the spinner (top of the spinner toward the rear) will let you know by casual inspection that the spinner is moving (it won't tighten itself by itself, but it MAY loosen by itself).
Secondly, I loop the safety wire through the small hole in the ear of the spinner first, use the safety wire pliers to make the neat twist, then thread the open end around the appropriate spoke on the tire. Then I reach under the car, jacked up if necessary, latch onto the ends of the wire and do another inch or so of neat twist behind the spoke and cut off the excess. That way the sharp edge is totally out of sight and harms way. I remove my wheels so seldom that it is a minor inconvenience to get under the car, and it looks MUCH better and is safer to boot.