17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-09-2004, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#2067 SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default wiring pindrives

Does anyone have detailed photos or a reference as to the proper method of safety wiring spinners on pindrive wheels? Basically from drilling holes in the spinners to "lacing" and tying off the wires. Sources of tools and wire also appreciated.
Thanks, Dave
Old 07-10-2004, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Get a free catalog from ......
www.aircraftspruce.com

Got all that stuff and more

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Harbor Freight has the tool available, and it goes on sale from time to time. Comes in 2 sizes, but get the larger. I don't think the wire will prevent the spinner from coming off, remember to inspect them from time to time. If you need a photo of the installation let us know.
WCCC
Old 07-10-2004, 06:45 AM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This ERA site may help:

http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/wheels/

David Lowell
Old 07-10-2004, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

The ERA photos pretty much say it all. I would add two comments.

First, always leave your wiring a bit slack as opposed to taut. This allows you to see if your spinner is correctly tightened. If the wire gets taut, they are loosening!

Second, leave about 1" on the tie off from the spinner ear, and "curl" the excess with a pair of needlenose pliers, making sure the end is tucked in. Saves you or an unfortunate bystander the experience of accidentally brushing against it and opening up an arm, leg, etc.

Bud
Old 07-10-2004, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#2067 SOLD
Not Ranked     

Thanks to all who replied with references and tips.
Does anyone out there carry a spare on board?
Dave
Old 07-10-2004, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Spare What?
Hahahahahahah
Old 07-10-2004, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Blas is right, I carry phone numbers of three roll back owners, on the safety wire,
forget leaving it loose and use .041 wire,
harbor freight sells china crap, Aircraftspruce sells quality products that will be with you from now on and not
expensive.....

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When you install the wire at the spinner, make the connection in the back of the spinner and cut the leader long enough to curl it behind the spinner with a needle noce plier into a curly-que. This prevents you from tearing up your hand up when washing the wheels, and it looks better too.
As to the spare, I hav a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk, as I have no jack and if you have removed your spinner you can imagine doing it on the side of the road. I have considered purchasinf a tire plug kit and a can of air or a small 12v compressor. But then I think, that what credit cards are for. Also, the Fix-a-flat would trash the tire I'm told. Two different size tires...the list goes on.......
Old 07-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Two comments, guys...first, I do not believe that the safety wire will keep the spinner from coming undone, and wouldn't trust it for that anyway; I DO believe it is just there to give you an indication that the spinner has moved, so leaving a bit of slack in the wire, and wiring it so it goes in the same direction that you tighten the spinner (top of the spinner toward the rear) will let you know by casual inspection that the spinner is moving (it won't tighten itself by itself, but it MAY loosen by itself).
Secondly, I loop the safety wire through the small hole in the ear of the spinner first, use the safety wire pliers to make the neat twist, then thread the open end around the appropriate spoke on the tire. Then I reach under the car, jacked up if necessary, latch onto the ends of the wire and do another inch or so of neat twist behind the spoke and cut off the excess. That way the sharp edge is totally out of sight and harms way. I remove my wheels so seldom that it is a minor inconvenience to get under the car, and it looks MUCH better and is safer to boot.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just ordered Shell Valley chassis, 521 Ford w/Jerico 4 spd.complete Strange Eng. ford 9"w 4.56 locker and a 3.31 True Trac.Strange Eng. Coilovers w/Hypercoil springs,Wildwood SRP 4- piston disc brakes
Not Ranked     
Cool Safety wire

The safety wire is not just for nostalgia, it actually serves and has a purpose. It stops a part from exiting the ride and will expand and contract with the heat of the part it attaches too. In several sanctioning bodys its a requirement and at Aircraft Spruce they sell hardware that is predrilled for safety wire.If you have wilwood brakes; their current hardware has safety wire provisions and is highly recommended. The safety wire is just that a safety in case you didn't properly tighten part, it doesn't mean end of maintenence you still need to run over hardware, spinners, fittings periodically. Aircraft , NASA, IMSA, NASCAR,some NHRA, DIRT and just about all the outlaw cars and Modifieds its required.P.S. no slack! just because it is wire doesn't mean it isn't strong. Ebay is a great place to find the wire .041" & .035" and 9" pliers, Make sure wire is from the Aircraft industry or equivalent I bought some more Airline surplus off Ebay it will last a lifetime.