View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPC Brock/Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe 51, Roush 427IR, also full custom 600+ HP Austin Healey and Ferrari Daytona spyder
Not Ranked     

Hi. I do not know of reliability problems with the DFI per se if it is properly installed. There is a lot you can do to tune the DFI as you can map the engine for performance, ecomony, etc. Peter has the 6 speed because his is an early car even though it is #73. My car is a late car even though it is #51. SPF used to let the owners pick their numbers but not anymore. Dennis Olthoff is the SPF's premier dealer/installer. He and his dad Bob helped develop the coupe (as well as the the GT) . Yes, the T56 is noisier and not as smooth or quick shifting as the TKO600 which is why Dennis installs just about only TKO's now. However, if you are going to install the T56, have it blue printed. Peter's T56 is blue printed too. I'm not sure what Eric is referring to by low hood and short air intake. I understand that most carburetored cars are using Victor Jr. intake manifolds and the package fits nicely under the hood. (BTW, Dennis cuts down the engine mounts to lower the engine about 5/8" and lowers the tranny about an inch to line up better with the driveline. I followed Dennis' lead and my installation is very clean.) Is Eric comparing the Victor Jr. to a tunnel ram or something? If so, yes, the Victor Jr. or any other single or dual plane intake manifold loses HP to a tunnel ram which is a high rpm intake that suffers at low rpm. For your street application the Victor Jr. or similar intake manifold is more than adequate. What are you using for a carb? A Holly double pumper at 750 to 850 cfm is just fine. Many people over carburate their engines and the engine bogs down under heavy acceleration as the intake velocity drops due to the large barrels. You will probably pick up, not lose, HP with the open side pipes. I have the rear exit pipes for their quieter sound level but am getting open side pipes and will evaluate the difference in sound level and performance beforfe I decide which to keep on the car. The coupe comes with an MSC 6AL ignition wired in. The 6AL ("L" for limiter) uses plug in modules (white plastic electronic modules about 3/4" x 1/2" with two prongs that plug into the box) to limit the R's. You can buy the modules at any speed shop. They come in packages of about 5 modules in, I believe, 200 RPM increments so get a set from 5500 RPM to 6500 RPM and use the 6200, 6300 RPM module while the engine is under warranty and use the 6500, 6600 RPM module after your warranty has lapsed. As for getting on the Coupe Group list, give me your email address and a little bio about you and your car and I'll introduce you to Peter by e-mail so he can add you to the list.

Last edited by rcweingart; 06-27-2006 at 12:06 PM..