View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Slowy's G-Force build!

Seems Lobelly has finally shamed me into figuring out how to and actually posting pics of my build.

Mine is a 97 built G-force that has seen two previous owners but never been registered. I have been fortunate enough to be classed as a late 2004 classified ICV ie I get to use an AU series motor - no dark side of the force for me!!. In this case a 220kW Tickford with 5 speed so she should burble along.

Have had body on and off a couple of times made very easy by twin pulley systems so that I can do all this by myself in about 15 minutes. Made a right mess of my garage ceiling though - will have to add the ceiling repairs to the to do list after car is finished!!?!

Have fitted brake and mechanical clutch systems see pic below

Needed to make an extension to clutch pedal to pull cable as the kit was set up for hydraulics, but the motor/box arrangement was mechanical as original. But am finding I have a mighty long throw, so on advice am currently going to test for clutch release and set a stop on the pedal. Can anybody provide any further advise on this issue?

Also had to cut out a section of the rear of front wheel arch to fit brake booster and master as shown below! This had been forecast by a fellow building his second G-Force near me. He isn't a club member and I will have to work on this.

Test fitted the airbox that came with the engine and it's way too big. Have been lent a GM airbox, thanks Martin, but wonder if the smaller size will affect the engine particularly related to emissions management. Can anyone comment on this, including other options I might have in this issue?

Have also been searching for ages for MX5 seats, and have two shown in the car. The black cloth seat has been shrunk and fits the GF well, the leather tan seat is full size but doesn't fit as well as expected. Here in steps the Boss and says I want them leather seats, so its cut and shut time with a visit to the trimmers.

The black seat was lent by a fellow building clubmans and who has a similar pair of full sized seats available - see my post on mx5 seats. The black seat hugs much like a race seat without the large wings even though the owner very roughly did the cut exercise. When I am finished the tan seats will need to be measured to know they are smaller!!

Am working my build towards a state where I can contemplate exhaust systems. This means fitting all the interfering goodies including fuel tank and pumps. My kit came with a GF fabricated tank but I wanted to maximise boot space so am fitting tank beneath f/glass, rather than through boot as suggested by the GF build manual. Pick shows tank roughly in location.

Search in vain for an intank std system so ended up buying off ebay the needed bits in one hit - Carter lift pump, ali surge tank and an 044 Bosch motorsport pump, all destined for a Mustang but never used. Have worked out where these will go and will buy the steel and start fabricating this week.

Can anyone explain simply the routing sequence for fuel supply and return including vapour management? I know I need a charcoal cannister as well, where does this fit into the picture?

Anyway that's more than enough from me, look forward to all those handy hints and suggestions to keep my jigsaw going.

Cheers

PS I think I have a photo melt down. If there aren't any attachments please barrage me with how to post photo descriptions, as I had faithfully followed previous instructions from the forum on how to do this. Probably first time blues.

Slowy

Last edited by stephen low; 07-31-2006 at 12:13 AM..