View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas427fe
Keith, got my engine today. Thanks for the fast turn around. Just one question, the instruction sheet says 34 degrees advance. At what RPM? Thanks, Chas
That would be total advance.. base timing + timing in distributor. The "At what RPM" would be dependent on the "timing curve" of your distributor. Factory and aftermarket distributors typically have internal springs which hold back centrifugal weights, all working in conjunction to develop a timing curve. As rpm increases centrifugal force tend to make the weights "fly" outward, increasing timing. The springs hold back the weights, keeping the timing retarded. By substituting springs of different tensions you can control the point that your distributor timing comes in.

So here's what you do... get the engine running, where it'll idle. Set your timing light up on it. While the engines running have someone watch the tach while you’re doing it. Have the guy watching the tach slowly give the car gas, increasing rpm. You need to be watching the timing light while it's accelerating. When your timing plateaus ask the guy what rpm the engine's at. Make a mental note of that. Ask him to increase it another 200 rpms. At that point, with the timing light on, you can twist the distributor to give yourself 34 deg of timing. Lock down the distributor. Let the engine idle down. Recheck the timing (base timing). It should be around 10 deg to 16 deg. I would also recommend that you call Keith with what your base timing is and what the rpms are when all your timing's in. He built it; he'll know what's best.

Dave