View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell W
Greg,

I'm very interested in your project. Were these 28 spline parts or did you upgrade to 31 spline parts? What about the hubs? Where did you order the parts? Did you replace the CV joints?

Thanks,

Lowell
I should first mention that I had a number of off idle drag strip passes and spirited street acceleration burst on the original Superformance shafts with no problem. The driving blow for the original part was a 3000 or so RPM start with a medium clutch release.

For replacement I ended up with 28 spline actual Ford ends with custom center shafts. The CV joints are new as well.

The complete from hub to differential half shaft assemblies came from The Drive Shaft Shop. http://www.driveshaftshop.com/ I very much wanted go up to their 31 spline 950 wheel HP set up they offered, but months were going by while I was waiting for the parts. Frank from the shop was very knowledgeable and familiar with the Superformance Cobra as he's down the street from the Olthoffs. His explanation the original half shaft I had in my Ford 8.8 rear end were cast metal then heat induction, as I recall, and had potential to break as he's seen many of them of the type broken. I sent him a picture of the failed part for his review. Ultimately I went with a recommendation from Frank, The Drive Shaft Shop, 28 spline set up he put together saying I'll be fine. We'll see? I think I drove him nuts asking the same durability questions over and over.

I removed and took my differential to SVC Motorsports to have the Detroit Truetrac installed with new bearings and seals. They found the original limited slip unit to be curiously out of assembly tolerances. Dean from the shop was great explaining thoroughly the precautions and measurements to be certain all was good with the new unit. They even left that back differential cover off to show me the component before installing with ford product sealant. It was good to see them torque the nuts to specification too.