Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     
Default Detroit Truetrac and half shafts

I just finished up my new rear end and stronger half shafts. So far so good. I put a Detroit Truetrac in the Ford 8.8 to replace the limited slip. The new unit would be similar to a Torsen T2 or T2R, but stronger and good to go for drag racing, better out of corners road course driving and around town practical. So far it seems nice and smooth and is hanging in there great with the 3.73 gears and TKO 600. I've also replaced my original clutch and flywheel that came on the Roush 427 R-095 with a SPEC stage 3 and aluminum flywheel. The clutch has a bit more grab, but the car overall is more responsive and quicker, more fun to drive.

The stainless steel side pipes with replaceable mufflers will be here from http://www.buckshotracefab.com/ in a month or two. I'll be increasing the diameter of fuel line on the Superformance along with the side pipe install. I'll share the load bearing dyno results with corrected number comparison when I'm all done.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421
Not Ranked     

Sounds good, can't wait to see the results. Good luck. Hey nice pics in your gallery, especially the one with the viper. I assume that is you in the near lane. Did you take him? I always wonder about those vipers having been my second choice to my Cobra.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Greg
What did you use for half shafts?
Larry
Old 10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Greg,

I'm very interested in your project. Were these 28 spline parts or did you upgrade to 31 spline parts? What about the hubs? Where did you order the parts? Did you replace the CV joints?

Thanks,

Lowell
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slojo
Sounds good, can't wait to see the results. Good luck. Hey nice pics in your gallery, especially the one with the viper. I assume that is you in the near lane. Did you take him? I always wonder about those vipers having been my second choice to my Cobra.
The image in my gallery were my Superformance is staged next to the twin turbo Viper is this car.

It was an exciting pass at a Scottsdale Exotic Car Club drag day at Speed World March 31, 2006. There was no doubt the twin turbo Viper had the power to beat me, but I had Mickey Thompson ET Street drag radials and he was on a street performance rear tire. The same Viper on drag slicks is a low 9s, potentially high 8s car.

I won!
Twin Turbo Viper 11.8 @ 148 mph
Superformance Cobra 11.2 @ 125

Conditions were low pressure inHg, strong head wind and high 80Fs. I made about 20 or so easy start off idle launch passes with 11.1 @ 126 my best that day.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell W
Greg,

I'm very interested in your project. Were these 28 spline parts or did you upgrade to 31 spline parts? What about the hubs? Where did you order the parts? Did you replace the CV joints?

Thanks,

Lowell
I should first mention that I had a number of off idle drag strip passes and spirited street acceleration burst on the original Superformance shafts with no problem. The driving blow for the original part was a 3000 or so RPM start with a medium clutch release.

For replacement I ended up with 28 spline actual Ford ends with custom center shafts. The CV joints are new as well.

The complete from hub to differential half shaft assemblies came from The Drive Shaft Shop. http://www.driveshaftshop.com/ I very much wanted go up to their 31 spline 950 wheel HP set up they offered, but months were going by while I was waiting for the parts. Frank from the shop was very knowledgeable and familiar with the Superformance Cobra as he's down the street from the Olthoffs. His explanation the original half shaft I had in my Ford 8.8 rear end were cast metal then heat induction, as I recall, and had potential to break as he's seen many of them of the type broken. I sent him a picture of the failed part for his review. Ultimately I went with a recommendation from Frank, The Drive Shaft Shop, 28 spline set up he put together saying I'll be fine. We'll see? I think I drove him nuts asking the same durability questions over and over.

I removed and took my differential to SVC Motorsports to have the Detroit Truetrac installed with new bearings and seals. They found the original limited slip unit to be curiously out of assembly tolerances. Dean from the shop was great explaining thoroughly the precautions and measurements to be certain all was good with the new unit. They even left that back differential cover off to show me the component before installing with ford product sealant. It was good to see them torque the nuts to specification too.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Greg,

Great! Thanks for all the info. What/where is SVC Motorsports?

Lowell
Old 10-31-2006, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell W
Greg,

Great! Thanks for all the info. What/where is SVC Motorsports?

Lowell
Here's a link to information of SVC Motorsports location and telephone.
http://www.yp.com//yplist.php?cn=svc...e&cs2=AZ&YPsa=

In my experience with SVC Motorsports of install of new TKO 600, clutch, flywheel and differential work they seem quality minded wanting to provide a good service. The group of guys there seem to have a wonderful balance of personalities with each put into the correct position to get thing done correctly the first time. Dean is a great customer service guy. With the guys in back you can almost see them thinking they seem so concentrated on their project at times. The prices are literal and accurate to reflect the job performed. They all have a great attitude toward performance and what you want, while being careful to follow detail and accuracy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: