Thread: Lexus V-8
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2006, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Built a Lexus(Toyota 1UZ-FE) powered Cobra with my brother. Locally where I live we have quite a number of Lexus powered Cobra's on the streets, both normally aspirated and turbo charged(single or twin).

Beautiful engine, very smooth, very strong, very light and very reliable. The one we fitted had 130,000km's on it and has now done a huge amount of k's on the track and various sprint & drag race meets, no problems at all.

It is a very wide engine, width is a problem for all modern overhead cam/multi-valve V8's. But with exhausts exiting angled downwards and plugs in the top of the heads, there is nothing on the sides of engine(heads are widest part) that you need access to...so can be a more practical fit then big block Ford for instance.

Normally aspirated it produced around 230rwhp. It has now had a turbo fitted and produces around 330rwhp at modest 7 pounds of boost.

One of the great things about Lexus engines is that you don't have to decompress them to super/turbo charge them. They are very efficient, so you end up with a strong response off boast and of course even stronger under boost.

A guy here recently just fitted new cames & throttle body injection. Puts out around 300rwhp. Looks very trick with the throttle bodies.

Lexus engines are not for the traditionalists, but definitely the best bang for buck out there.

Last edited by 400TT; 11-04-2006 at 05:14 PM..