View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 88 NAF 427 SC, built (but sick) 302, 4sp Toploader w/ scattershield, 4 link coil-over 9" rear w/ 4.56 gears
Not Ranked     

Hi,

Woodz428: Agreed about the 4.125 overbore. Wife and were discussing this on our way to dinner. Would like to keep the block awhile (i.e. rebuild it) if anything sould go wrong in the future (or the mood simply strikes). Ditto the AL rods. That was a real, eye-opening surprise. At this point, a Dart block is on the table (builder prefers them), altho I am impressed with the World blocks as well. Don't know much about the new Ford "Boss" block, but do like the name. <wicked laugh> BTW, what are the other reasons to stay w/ the 331?

WildBill3: Prefer forged rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons). And builder won't even consider cast. Mumbled something about damned fools and money parting ways... This motor will be 99% street, but, I have been known to "light 'em" up in my earlier days. Just love to run the ponies ocassionally. Roadraced Superbikes back in the late 80s to early 90s (before they got so terribly expensive).

Cashburn: Sure hope I don't. Header and intake compatability is one of the areas where I believe I can save a few dollars safely. Thus the 8.2" block seems a logical choice. Moreover, perhaps I can use the old Mallory 37 series distributor (seems to be doing fine). And, hopefully, the Holley 650 DP will be adequate. Does anyone know anything about Fort Motorsport J302 heads? The only specs I've got state 1.94" intake and 1.60" exhaust valves. Build doesn't care for them, but money is an object...

Dangerous Doug: No particular reason at all. More cubes usually equates with more HP as far as I know. But I also don't feel particularly comfortable taking the stroke just as far as it'll go because I can either. Builder seems to favor large bore/short stroke combinations. At this point, the 3.25" stroke seems adequate for my needs (375 rwhp). One of the more important aspects of this project, to me, is longevity. Would prefer an engine that reliably make a little less HP/TQ for 10 years as to a powerhouse that I'm always planning the next rebuild (perhaps that is a *little* overstated, but you get my drift).

Bob in Ct: Have considered it. May even do it. However, in my price/performance range I didn't notice any forged cranks. Nor is the Boss block out yet for the crate motors. Don't care for the 2 bolt main blocks. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to rebuild/purchase, the Boss crate engines will be out and a forged crank and rods with live at the base of a 302/345 HP. Hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for all the replies. Any thoughts on the Clevor combination using the Aussie heads (either 4v or 2v)? Seems a bit expensive (intake, headers, etc), but interesting. Maybe I'll sell the daughter.