View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectable 302, C-4,Ford 9 inch
Not Ranked     

Ron,

I wish I had disc all around. And I wish I had bigger rotors. It is easy now for me to look back and know what I would change. I think many guys run with out power brakes, but you have to set it up properly. That is beyond my skill level. I put in power brakes. When you get to that point I can probably find the NAPA part number of the booster and mastercylinder I used. Mine fits in the engine compartment without any cutting of the fenderwell.

The radiator bracket from A & C could be improved. I may just change mine some day.

The gel coat looks great. But scrutinize it from every angle and up close when you pick it up. Most guys are pleased. I had a few flaws that had to be fixed, and I did not see them until my painter/friend pointed them out after I took the body away. Joe would have made the situation right, but it would have cost me more to have the body transported back to Buffalo, then have my friend fix the flaws. Look around especially near the trunk cut-outs and engine bay cut-outs. These are seperate molded pieces that are attached to the body. I found flaws/visible seams there.

I had mine striped and clear coated.

Have fun. Plan carefully. I had a blast during the build. Sometimes you will get frustrated. But when you are done it is worth it. Tell you a little story:

Took my Cobra to a real "small town" car show. A guy pulls in next to me with a very nice 1968 corvette. He has a nice car, and he knows it. Before people show up he tells me how proud of the awards his car wins at "corvette events" and rightly so because it was nice. Anyway, he is all smug and pretty confident at this small show. He knows that I have a replica, and he has an original numbers correct vette. People start showing up and looking at the cars.
None of the locals were paying attention to his vette. At one time I had so many people looking at the Cobra and taking pictures he had to move his chair. Now I am not claiming that this was because of my craftsmanship, but it was because it was a Cobra!
He got so frustrated/jealous that he left his car not long after after people started showing up, no one was looking at his vette or asking him questions. I was talking to people so much during the show I barely had time to use the bathroom.

I won Mayor's Choice!

Regards,

Last edited by jerry w; 04-21-2007 at 05:05 AM..