View Single Post
Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up One day Temp!

When I first went to DMV I just took the paper work. Since I did not have an SB100 number at the time, I started with a non-SB100 registration process. They gave me a one day temp to bring the car in to DMV for vin verification.
Then they gave me a 60 day temp to go to BAR for smog.

Since my car won't smog even by year-of-block, I didn't bother going to BAR. Without insurance, I wouldn't drive it very far (around the block only).

Last Jan 2nd I got up very early and got in line at DMV and got a coveted SB100 number. The rest is a slam-dunk.

With an SB100 number you start over. BAR won't schedule you an appointment until you've been to CHP. So it's off to your local CHP office for a vin verification/assignment. If CHP is OK with your vin number they will use it. If not, CHP will assign a new vin number. They were happy with my Shelby vin tag, so my official vin number is "CSX4795"!
With this done, you can schedule a BAR appointment.

BAR is easy with an SB100 number, it's all just a formality. My car failed miserably, & they passed me anyway & attached a BAR sticker next to my Vin plate. It says "1965 Cobra", so it's smog exempt for life!

Back to DMV with all of the paper work, and they handed me a set of license plates and stickers. I'm now waiting for my personalized plates to arrive. I received the 'Pink slip' in the mail yesterday!

Good luck
jdog

Last edited by jdog; 04-27-2007 at 08:20 AM..