24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #479
Not Ranked     
Default Insurance and registration-California

Hi guys,

BDR 479 should be here this weekend. Here's my question. Do you need proof of insurance to start the registration process? My broker has told me the underwriter wants to see a temporary operating permit on it before she writes the policy.

My concern is the DMV won't start the process until they see insurance, and the insurance company won't insure me until they see a registration/TOP. Catch-22.

I know I'm probably over complicating things, but I think everyone gets a little nervous when starting the registration process in California.

Also, I tried a more direct route for insurance, and due to a "blemish" on my record 4 years ago, they wouldn't write me. So this is one of my limited options.

Also, I need to bring the car with me on the first visit to the DMV, correct? Another member told me I do, but I thought I'd double check here as this is the mecca of all that is cobra.....

Thanks in advance for any insight/info.

-Sean
Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Arrow At renewal time!

Ca will ask for proof if insurance when you get your renewal notice. A cop can ask you anytime!

I just waited until I finished the registration process to get insurance. I didn't see any need to insure a car I couldn't drive anyway. I will say, that I have the luxury of having a trailer & truck to haul the Cobra to CHP & BAR appointments, so I wasn't driving it.

jdog

Last edited by jdog; 04-26-2007 at 10:40 PM..
Old 04-26-2007, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jdog!

Takes that issue off my shoulders.

First trip to the DMV. Do I need to bring it? Or will they take the paperwork and just give me a TOP (hopefully) and tell me to go to the CHP to get the vin verified? I have all the paperwork currently, so I'd love to do it before it gets here and be able to drive it. Not likely I'd assume
Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up One day Temp!

When I first went to DMV I just took the paper work. Since I did not have an SB100 number at the time, I started with a non-SB100 registration process. They gave me a one day temp to bring the car in to DMV for vin verification.
Then they gave me a 60 day temp to go to BAR for smog.

Since my car won't smog even by year-of-block, I didn't bother going to BAR. Without insurance, I wouldn't drive it very far (around the block only).

Last Jan 2nd I got up very early and got in line at DMV and got a coveted SB100 number. The rest is a slam-dunk.

With an SB100 number you start over. BAR won't schedule you an appointment until you've been to CHP. So it's off to your local CHP office for a vin verification/assignment. If CHP is OK with your vin number they will use it. If not, CHP will assign a new vin number. They were happy with my Shelby vin tag, so my official vin number is "CSX4795"!
With this done, you can schedule a BAR appointment.

BAR is easy with an SB100 number, it's all just a formality. My car failed miserably, & they passed me anyway & attached a BAR sticker next to my Vin plate. It says "1965 Cobra", so it's smog exempt for life!

Back to DMV with all of the paper work, and they handed me a set of license plates and stickers. I'm now waiting for my personalized plates to arrive. I received the 'Pink slip' in the mail yesterday!

Good luck
jdog

Last edited by jdog; 04-27-2007 at 08:20 AM..
Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jdog why do I get the feeling that when your plate order hits manufacturing it will suddenly find itself at the front of the line?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Made already!

They could be made already, just waiting for the order from DMV to ship them out!

jdog
P.S. I could show you a picture, but that just wouldn't be right!

Last edited by jdog; 04-27-2007 at 09:55 AM..
Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again for the info Jdog. I am headed down the road to get the process started as a spcns. Drive on the TOP, then the SB100 at the start of 2008. Did they need the car at the DMV the first day you brought it in?

Reason I ask is if I need to bring someone to sit in the car and watch it for me while I get the paperwork done. I'd love it if I could just bring one of my other vehicles and not have to worry about the car, but if there is something they need to check, I'll have one of my employees come along.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Arrow Yes

To get the first 60 day temp, DMV will need to verify the vin number so, yes, they do need to see the car.

I live on a couple of blocks from our local DMV, & they gave me a one day temp to go home I get the car for the vin verification.

Do you want to borrow my trailer?

jdog
Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

no you can't drive it with out the top.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

chp verifies the vin.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

My DMV (gilroy) never asked to see the car. Now they did send me to the CHP for a VIN installation and the CHP searched for stolen parts and such.

I was able to get a TOP several times from the DMV without them seeing the car, or seeing insurance information (which I had).

Yet another case of every DMV is differnt I suppose. The only time I had to go to the DMV was when I received my title and it didnt have the correct VIN number on it I had to bring the car to the DMV for them to view the VIN number that the officer from the CHP had installed many months before.

Good luck

Daryl
Old 04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

make sure everybody writes down the same vin no. CHECK IT every time. it took me 14 months to get it done cause the dmv left out a 0 and it cost $2000 in tax and license fees. So do it right the first time, make sure!!!!!!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: