View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dwight;

Sounds like you have a pretty nice motor........323 hp at the wheels would be in the neighborhood of 400 hp at the crank,and the torque would similarly be up there also.........

I would not worry about the hp number as you have plenty of torque to get your car moving........

[quote]this motor dyno'ed at 323 rwhp & 375 rwtq

Question: why the big different is tq & hp? What controls the rpm range of hp & tq? What would it take to get 375 HP & Tq? I know that several components have an influence on tq & hp but I would like to better understand it.

Your cylinder head/intake/carb/cam combo dictate your hp and torque more than anything else (IMHO)...

As one ole mechainic told me years ago, torque gets you moving from a dead stop to a certain speed, hp keeps you at that speed once you get there......
Or as Mark Kinser (WoO race car driver) told me after they switched to Mopar power some years ago, torque wins races, hp sells motors...they had just switched to Mopar engines from chevys, for one reason only, the Mopars made more torque and had a flatter,broader torque curve........

My 65 fastback has a 351-W in it, basically a stock motor, running slightly modified factory iron heads (1972 model heads) and a 484 lift/272 duration hydraulic cam in it, making about 325 hp......everyone that has ever driven the car thinks it's at least a 393 stroker under the hood, for one reason only, torque!!!!!!!!!!!!! the thing pulls like a freight train up until about 5500 rpms,runs the quarter mile in the 12.90s just like I drive it on the street and still gets 23 mpg on the highway cruising at 75mph, it does have a 5 speed tremec in it...........I would not change a thing on it, it's a joy to drive and very mild mannered............

Keep what you have and enjoy it and don't worry about the hp numbers..........

David