View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for info on HiPo 260 Cobra motors

I'm trying to dig up as much info as I can about the engines used in the early 260 Cobras (cars with generators). I'm doing some research on the Shelby prototype Tiger and the builder of the car (George Boskoff) tells me the Tiger prototype got one of the early Cobra motors.

The motor that came in the car had a build date of 2K26B which means it was an early 260 with 6 inch spacing on the motor mounts. Does anyone have any pictures of these early Cobra motors or any other info? What made these HiPo motors? I'm assuming they had C2OE-9425-K 4V manifolds. Did they also have solid lifter cams? What about generators? Were they Lucas? The one picture I have shows a gear reduction on the back of the generator for the tach and this matches what is on the Tiger prototype. It also has a Corvette/Harrison overflow tank. What kind of valve covers would it have? Would the oil fill be in the timing cover? I'm hoping some pictures can answer all of these questions.

I've read all the Mannel (this book is amazing), Taylor, Haynes,etc. books I've gotten all I can from these books so am now looking for more detail about the early 260's that came in Cobras (especially the 3/1963 timeframe). Any info/pictures will be much appreciated. Also any leads on a 1962 260 with 6 inch motor mount spacing (especially with a 2K26B build date) will be rewarded with $$$. From what I understand this type of 260 block was common to the Fairlane line of cars.

Thanks, Doug
408-593-7375

Last edited by dlyle; 06-13-2007 at 09:46 AM..