Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for info on HiPo 260 Cobra motors

I'm trying to dig up as much info as I can about the engines used in the early 260 Cobras (cars with generators). I'm doing some research on the Shelby prototype Tiger and the builder of the car (George Boskoff) tells me the Tiger prototype got one of the early Cobra motors.

The motor that came in the car had a build date of 2K26B which means it was an early 260 with 6 inch spacing on the motor mounts. Does anyone have any pictures of these early Cobra motors or any other info? What made these HiPo motors? I'm assuming they had C2OE-9425-K 4V manifolds. Did they also have solid lifter cams? What about generators? Were they Lucas? The one picture I have shows a gear reduction on the back of the generator for the tach and this matches what is on the Tiger prototype. It also has a Corvette/Harrison overflow tank. What kind of valve covers would it have? Would the oil fill be in the timing cover? I'm hoping some pictures can answer all of these questions.

I've read all the Mannel (this book is amazing), Taylor, Haynes,etc. books I've gotten all I can from these books so am now looking for more detail about the early 260's that came in Cobras (especially the 3/1963 timeframe). Any info/pictures will be much appreciated. Also any leads on a 1962 260 with 6 inch motor mount spacing (especially with a 2K26B build date) will be rewarded with $$$. From what I understand this type of 260 block was common to the Fairlane line of cars.

Thanks, Doug
408-593-7375

Last edited by dlyle; 06-13-2007 at 09:46 AM..
Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I may have your motor!

First, Bill Carroll owns the Shelby prototype Tiger (or did). [1] I doubt that car had any race stuff on it. Probably the best thing would be to ask some of the Tiger folks - if you have trouble PM me.

I have a 260 long block from a Tiger (352 vin) in my garage - we can work something out.

David in Durango
Ford deflicted for years.

[1] Not to be confused w/ the Miles Tiger prototype!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyle
I'm trying to dig up as much info as I can about the engines used in the early 260 Cobras (cars with generators). I'm doing some research on the Shelby prototype Tiger and the builder of the car (George Boskoff) tells me the Tiger prototype got one of the early Cobra motors.

The motor that came in the car had a build date of 2K26B which means it was an early 260 with 6 inch spacing on the motor mounts. Does anyone have any pictures of these early Cobra motors or any other info? What made these HiPo motors? I'm assuming they had C2OE-9425-K 4V manifolds. Did they also have solid lifter cams? What about generators? Were they Lucas? The one picture I have shows a gear reduction on the back of the generator for the tach and this matches what is on the Tiger prototype. It also has a Corvette/Harrison overflow tank. What kind of valve covers would it have? Would the oil fill be in the timing cover? I'm hoping some pictures can answer all of these questions.

I've read all the Mannel (this book is amazing), Taylor, Haynes,etc. books I've gotten all I can from these books so am now looking for more detail about the early 260's that came in Cobras (especially the 3/1963 timeframe). Any info/pictures will be much appreciated. Also any leads on a 1962 260 with 6 inch motor mount spacing (especially with a 2K26B build date) will be rewarded with $$$. From what I understand this type of 260 block was common to the Fairlane line of cars.

Thanks, Doug
408-593-7375
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

According to any early book I have they were "off the shelf Falcon Sprint 260 engine with chrome valve covers and air cleaner". It also said that car#s 71-200 switched from the Lucas generator to the Ford generator and then went to a Ford alternator from 201-589.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the response David. I bought the car from Bill so it now sits in my garage. The car would have received whatever engine that the Cobras had. Shelby said to Boskoff "see that white car over there? I want you to put one of our motors in there." The engine would have come from the pile of engines they had getting ready to go in the Cobras. That also explains why the prototype Tiger has the Harrison overflow and the Lucas generator.

I've talked to all the Tiger guys and have also talked to some of the original builders including Phil Remington and George Boskoff. I've also talked to photographers from that period including Shelby photographer Dave Friedman. They just don't have any pictures of the car since it was a "secret" build. That and the fact that all the guys in the Shelby shop were paying attention to the cool new Cobra. I'm hoping original Cobra photos will shed some light on what the engine compartment looked like.

I do have several 260 Tiger blocks but I'm trying to get as numbers correct as possible and that would be a 2K2 date coded block. The car currently has a January 1964 HiPo that codes (563-A) to Fairlane with manual transmission. Nobody knows how that motor got in there but it appears to have been there since before 1976. Bill Carroll says it was shipped back to Shelby in 1964 or so to have the HiPo put in it. Shelby says that Bill put the HiPo in it. The only real proof I have is the Shelby tag on the firewall (and the stamping in the firewall sheetmetal) that shows motor 2K26B. I know it's a longshot but I'm going to search for a 260 with a similar or exact code on the block. In the mean time the HiPo will do but it smokes like you wouldn't believe. It didn't have an oil filter when I bought it and probably never did. I think it's a little worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinDurango
First, Bill Carroll owns the Shelby prototype Tiger (or did). [1] I doubt that car had any race stuff on it. Probably the best thing would be to ask some of the Tiger folks - if you have trouble PM me.

I have a 260 long block from a Tiger (352 vin) in my garage - we can work something out.

David in Durango
Ford deflicted for years.

[1] Not to be confused w/ the Miles Tiger prototype!

Last edited by dlyle; 06-13-2007 at 11:35 AM..
Old 06-13-2007, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428
According to any early book I have they were "off the shelf Falcon Sprint 260 engine with chrome valve covers and air cleaner". It also said that car#s 71-200 switched from the Lucas generator to the Ford generator and then went to a Ford alternator from 201-589.

What book is this from? Sounds like I need to get a copy. For those of you that don't know....the Bob Mannel book on Mustang and Ford motors is incredible. It covers everything the motors came with right down to nuts and bolts. Even has info on what fan you should have or what water inlet is correct.

Last edited by dlyle; 06-13-2007 at 03:16 PM..
Old 06-13-2007, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Haha - small world! ( and you seem to be 3 jumps ahead of me )

I can check the date code of my motor (if I ever get back that far) but imagine it would be 1965ish. (My Tiger was a "Mk1a" )

Somewhere I have some snaps of the car from a dinner at Bill's house - we had it on the back deck.

Its good to know it went to a proper home - good luck w/ it!

David

Quote:
Thanks for the response David. I bought the car from Bill so it now sits in my garage. The car would have received whatever engine that the Cobras had. Shelby said to Boskoff "see that white car over there? I want you to put one of our motors in there." The engine would have come from the pile of engines they had getting ready to go in the Cobras. That also explains why the prototype Tiger has the Harrison overflow and the Lucas generator.

I've talked to all the Tiger guys and have also talked to some of the original builders including Phil Remington and George Boskoff. I've also talked to photographers from that period including Shelby photographer Dave Friedman. They just don't have any pictures of the car since it was a "secret" build. That and the fact that all the guys in the Shelby shop were paying attention to the cool new Cobra. I'm hoping original Cobra photos will shed some light on what the engine compartment looked like.

I do have several 260 Tiger blocks but I'm trying to get as numbers correct as possible and that would be a 2K2 date coded block. The car currently has a January 1964 HiPo that codes (563-A) to Fairlane with manual transmission. Nobody knows how that motor got in there but it appears to have been there since before 1976. Bill Carroll says it was shipped back to Shelby in 1964 or so to have the HiPo put in it. Shelby says that Bill put the HiPo in it. The only real proof I have is the Shelby tag on the firewall (and the stamping in the firewall sheetmetal) that shows motor 2K26B. I know it's a longshot but I'm going to search for a 260 with a similar or exact code on the block. In the mean time the HiPo will do but it smokes like you wouldn't believe. It didn't have an oil filter when I bought it and probably never did. I think it's a little worn out.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is a small world. I'd love to see the pictures you took from that dinner. I had a guy send me some that were taken in 1976 and it helped with some questions I had about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinDurango
Haha - small world! ( and you seem to be 3 jumps ahead of me )

I can check the date code of my motor (if I ever get back that far) but imagine it would be 1965ish. (My Tiger was a "Mk1a" )

Somewhere I have some snaps of the car from a dinner at Bill's house - we had it on the back deck.

Its good to know it went to a proper home - good luck w/ it!

David
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is one of the few pictures I have of the car. That is Miss California 1964 sitting behind the wheel. Does anyone recognize this wooden steering wheel or what it was used in originally? Possibly Cobras? The car is now missing that ring that goes around the emblem in the middle of the wheel. I'm looking for a replacement.

Thanks again, Doug
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2007, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     

I don't think the Sprint had a Hi Po engine (i.e. wild cam,solid lifters,better ,etc.). The 1963 Fairlane had a 260 Hi Po,which I bet is what got into the Cobra. I haven't yet researched that,this is just from recollection.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@harrison.ne
I don't think the Sprint had a Hi Po engine (i.e. wild cam,solid lifters,better ,etc.). The 1963 Fairlane had a 260 Hi Po,which I bet is what got into the Cobra. I haven't yet researched that,this is just from recollection.
We know they had some special treatment...a special 4V manifold for one. I'm not sure about the rest though. It appears some of the later motors were hopped up but these Cobra motors were built in mid to late 1962 so some of the later tricks may not apply to the earlier cars.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JCF supplied the body,frame,and some of the driveline-I completed it to be a very accurate 289 slabside
Not Ranked     

I think I was wrong-the 63 hipo Fairlane was a 289 (late year option). I think the hipo 260s were made by using Ford engine kit C4OZ-6A044-B (p. I-22 of Mannel's book).
Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon@harrison.ne
I think I was wrong-the 63 hipo Fairlane was a 289 (late year option). I think the hipo 260s were made by using Ford engine kit C4OZ-6A044-B (p. I-22 of Mannel's book).

I did talk to Bob Mannel and he said the motors would have come from Ford ready to go. In other words they weren't replacing cams, manifolds, etc.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
What book is this from? Sounds like I need to get a copy.
It's from a Wallace Wyss book published in '77 with forward by CS called "Shelby's Wildlife-The Cobras and Mustangs". It isn't too specific on some things but has some good info. Since it was still fairly soon after production had ceased, I think some of the details are as accurate as some that have been created in the following decades.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodz428
It's from a Wallace Wyss book published in '77 with forward by CS called "Shelby's Wildlife-The Cobras and Mustangs". It isn't too specific on some things but has some good info. Since it was still fairly soon after production had ceased, I think some of the details are as accurate as some that have been created in the following decades.
I've seen that book before. Sounds like I should dig up a copy. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does anybody have good photos of the Lucas generator set-up and tachometer drive for early cobras?

Last edited by dlyle; 07-18-2007 at 05:07 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Did the 260 c.i. cars use early 6" spacing fairlane motor mounts at the engine?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenmetals View Post
Did the 260 c.i. cars use early 6" spacing fairlane motor mounts at the engine?
Yes, the early 260's only had the 6" spacing for motor mounts. My car now has a 289 but still has the 6" motor mounts. They welded on some tabs to make them able to bolt up to the 7" 289 mount holes on the engine.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I'm looking for a source for 1962 6' spacing Fairlane mounts,none on E-bay. Any help?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Gotta brag here; I have an old Carroll Shelby autographed copy of "Shelby's Wildlife."
First time I have seen book mentioned on this site.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Question Original Fairlane/Cobra 260 6" motor mount

Are you looking for the original style as used in the small block Fairlane/Cobra or do you want a version used in the Mustang?

I have a couple of complete sets of the original Fairlane/Cobra style 289 mounts and I may have one complete set of the original Fairlane/Cobra style 260 ones... not sure. All of these are rare as hens teeth and fairly expensive, but, as you've found out, the 260 ones are more rare.

I believe the smaller ones are about 6" on center, for the mounting holes to the block, and the larger ones are about 7" on center.

Let me know if you want me to look for them, or if you are looking for something different.

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear