View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     
Question Cutting the Aluminum panels

Well, I've been trying to cut the aluminum panels for my build and ran into a couple problems.
First, I think I went way too heavy on the material I'm using. I guess I'm the Tim Taylor type- if .040 is okay, .080 must be great, right? I wanted to have a fairly stiff trunk floor and cockpit floorboards, so I got the .080 6061 T6 Material.
I got the floor cut out, but found out my two metal brakes won't begin to bend this material so I'll be going to my friendly (?) fabricator and having him bend my pieces for me... after I get them all cut out and marked for bends. Too late to take the material back and it was expensive, so I'm going to keep plugging along with this stuff. In fact, I think I'm going to be just a bit short and I'm going to have to buy at least another half sheet to finish.

Second, I'm having a tough time cutting this heavy material. Tried a jig saw, but it was really slow going. Between loading up my blades and wearing them out quickly, it is taking forever and there are a bunch of pieces to cut/shape. I tried my Dewalt 18 Volt rechargable saw and it works better but the noise is unbelievable. The carbide blade cuts okay, but there must be a better blade available for this type of cutting that won't wake the dead while it is
working? Anyone have any suggestions?

How is everyone else's build coming along? Nick, Alex, Vic, ......? (don't need to ask about Patrick as he is the only one brave enough to post his progress regularly)

Bob