1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-10-2007, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     
Question Cutting the Aluminum panels

Well, I've been trying to cut the aluminum panels for my build and ran into a couple problems.
First, I think I went way too heavy on the material I'm using. I guess I'm the Tim Taylor type- if .040 is okay, .080 must be great, right? I wanted to have a fairly stiff trunk floor and cockpit floorboards, so I got the .080 6061 T6 Material.
I got the floor cut out, but found out my two metal brakes won't begin to bend this material so I'll be going to my friendly (?) fabricator and having him bend my pieces for me... after I get them all cut out and marked for bends. Too late to take the material back and it was expensive, so I'm going to keep plugging along with this stuff. In fact, I think I'm going to be just a bit short and I'm going to have to buy at least another half sheet to finish.

Second, I'm having a tough time cutting this heavy material. Tried a jig saw, but it was really slow going. Between loading up my blades and wearing them out quickly, it is taking forever and there are a bunch of pieces to cut/shape. I tried my Dewalt 18 Volt rechargable saw and it works better but the noise is unbelievable. The carbide blade cuts okay, but there must be a better blade available for this type of cutting that won't wake the dead while it is
working? Anyone have any suggestions?

How is everyone else's build coming along? Nick, Alex, Vic, ......? (don't need to ask about Patrick as he is the only one brave enough to post his progress regularly)

Bob
Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Bob,
I bought a small plasma cutter off of Ebay and it works like a charm. I don't remember the seller (I will look for his name) but I spent $385 including shipping. All you need is a clean, non-oiled air supply and a 220v outlet. I added a dryer outlet in the garage and changed all the plugs over. I used it to make a plate to space my trans and it blazed right thru 3/16" sheet aluminum without hesitation and left a very clean cut w/ minimal sanding required. Have also used it on stainless steel and mild steel w/ excellent results. Great performance from a 19 lb. package. It looks quite a bit like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUT-40R-Plasma-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images

Last edited by 427sharpe; 08-10-2007 at 11:02 PM..
Old 08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Bob, I'm about ready to finally start cutting some ally meself. I'll second the vote on a plasma cutter, I don't use mine much but it is an awesome tool. If you want straight cuts I use a square or straight edge, radii use a trammel tool or just freehand along the sharpie line. They are a little pricey for limited use. Rule of thumb is you want an amp per 0.010". My 50 amp will cut .500 or 1/2". Have you tried the bodymans high speed air saws. I have also used a wood saw with carbide and lotsa WD40, it works but not on the noise end of things. We'll definetely talk more about the ally panels for our projects.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Skill saw with a carbide tipped blade goes through like butter. Use with a straight edge and sand the kerf lightly for best appearance. Some what noisy but fast. Makes cool "sawdust" too. You can cut almost any thickness your saw can handle.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I'm using a circular saw with a carbide blade and it works okay, but the noise is unbelievable. Besides, I have a several rounded pieces to cut that the circular saw just won't handle.
Just trying to find an easier way. If the only other option is to buy a plasma cutter, I'll probably go back to the circular saw and jig saw and just tough it out. Hope the neighbors don't have me run out of town.

Bob
Old 08-11-2007, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

For a lot of pieces a metal cutting band saw works well -
Old 08-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

You are overlooking the band saw that is a must in my opinion for so many Fab jobs. A cheaper home model more for wood can be used if a metal blade is used but a wood blade is a waste of effort. The good old 4 inch grinder with a metal cut off disc does an amazing job and I often use when to lazy to remove part or for the little jobs. I also found cutting the guard into a 1/4 circle instead of throwing it away makes a lot of sense. You can adjust to become a footrest on your work while keeping the cut from being thrown at you. Use great caution with reduced guard and only special use (OSHA disclaimer). These things are 15 bucks at Harbor Freight anymore !! A sandbag placed on your work make cutting easier and a lot quieter.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 AC Aces, 1 w/289, 1 w/TBD
Not Ranked     

I used an air shear to get the panels close to their final shape (using a straight edge for straight lines), and then an air nibbler to get the final shape. I did have to do some filing around the nibbler final cuts, but it wasn't too bad sinc I used a rotary file on a drill. I think the shear was around $35 and nibbler was around $45. Caveat, they did struggle a bit with .085 thick AL, but were great on the .067 I ended up using.
Jay
Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff,
I tried to use the metal cutting bandsaw, but the throat is just too small for this large pieces I'm cutting.
However, I may give the metal cut off discs a try and the sandbag idea is great.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Guess I'll have to make a run to the welding store for some cut off wheels and other goodies.

Bob
Old 08-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Bob,
I always transfer marks to back side of work and cut from the back side. Use the almost worn out disc ( like when 1 1/2 in diameter) for the small radius cuts. I am also talking about the 1/8 thick cut off wheels not the metal grinding ones. I cut on the back side because if I get hung up or it skids across the work MURPHYS LAW it will not harm the final tin work.
It is also hard to beat a die grinder with a GOOD burr. They run about 25 bucks each and can get from Eastwood as one of many places. Big wide flutes for alum even if they throw fish hooks at you. The good old Dremel with the fabric type cut off wheel for small stuff is killer.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HI-TECH 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

A Beverly shear is great for non linier shapes. Catch it on sale with a discount coupon and they are cheap.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38413
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I do the majority of fab work with a 10" Sears table saw with a cutoff blade. You use clamps and scrap metal to make a sheet metal brake. The table part is also handy for forming and staightening. Youi use the side of the cutoff blade to clean up the cuts.

My gallery shows the stainless (really tough stuff) radiator shrouds, firewall and various brackets all made with a table saw and some oversized clamps.

Brian
Old 08-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Ooh ooh I like Ricks idea Beverly is a helpful girl on thicker, large and curved stuff.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Using the thin (1/16") metal cutting blades in my 4 1/2" angle grinder is working great. I tried the 1/8" cutting blades I found at my local welding supply shop, but they didn't last as long as these 1/16" blades and were harder to handle close to a cutting line. I found them at Home Depot.

Just a couple floor boards to cut out, then I have to get some more Aluminum to finish up the tunnel and some smaller fill in pieces in the trunk and elsewhere.

I thought about the Beverly cutter, but I laid out a lot of pieces close together to get as much as I could from a sheet of aluminum and I'm not sure I could have maneuvered between the pieces without making a mess. Besides, just one more tool I would only need for this project and it would set forever after that.

Thanks Guys.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Go to FounierEnterprises and look at the Kett shears. Works just like a drill and goes through aluminum like butter. For final detail trimming use a Sykes-Pickevant cutter. Works like a can opener and makes fery fine cuts in sheet metal. www.founierenterprises.com
Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bad link Red
Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

This should work:
http://www.fournierenterprises.com/
Old 08-12-2007, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Checked it out but found it was only rated to 14 guage metal. I'm using 12 guage for my pieces and I'm not sure it would work for my purposes. And at $260 I'm probably not going to find out.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     

Three Peaks,

You can borrow my plasma cutter if you want, it will work on 110 or 220.

I may have the Coupe out of the paint shop this next week!

Scott S
Old 08-12-2007, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott,
Thanks, but I've cut most of the pieces already. I would have taken you up on it a couple days ago.
I'll have to stop by your place and check out your coupe next time I'm on the way to Sisters.

Bob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: