View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi: Thanks for your responses.

The carbs are Holly 1850-List. The Secondaries are vacuumed but they dont have any outlets to link them to one another. Im not sure what you mean by mechanical linkage but but i dont have a cable controlling the carbs. They are rods to the pedal.

Yes the primaries both open at the same time. The guy setting up my car said that they have to open at the same time. He showed me that when the throttle was wide open that the carb furthest away from the firewall was opened less the the one close to the firewall. So he took two Question mark style linkage and used them to connect the linkage. I told him that everyone else that i have seen on this forum used one question mark one and the longer straighter style linckage rod to connect both carbs. That it was probably STD to have one carb open before the other. He didn't think so.

The timing is something that we are still struggling with. I'm not confident that we have it right. There is only one notch on the balancer. When we think that piston one is top center, the notch doesnt line up with the pointer. Its about 1/4 inch off. My distributer has two vacuum notches coming out of it but they are not hooked up. When we did hook them up, my builder said thats what caused your head gasket to allow number one cylinder to fill up with antifreeze. That i had created way to much advance to create pre-detination in all cylinders. The gasket, when i removed it did have carbon past all of the cylinder rings. If you ask me, i think that he didn't torque down the heads enough but what do i know.

Thanks for the help guys.
I really appreciate it.
Automan