View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     
Default Mexico's frustration with U.S. immigration policy builds

Mexico's frustration with U.S. immigration policy builds

Government, advocates are calling for measures to influence U.S. public opinion.

By Jeremy Schwartz

MEXICO CITY BUREAU

Saturday, November 17, 2007

MEXICO CITY — Anger in Mexico is growing in the wake of a number of new state laws in the United States considered by critics to be anti-Mexican, a shift probably reflected in President Felipe Calderón's verbal lashing this week of U.S. presidential candidates.

In tougher rhetoric toward U.S. immigration policies, Calderón scolded presidential candidates for using migrants as thematic hostages and announced a media campaign aimed at influencing American public opinion.

Calderón's comments represented a dramatic departure from the statements of past leaders and were welcomed by many in Mexico.

"I think the current American government has gone too far against illegal Mexicans," said Fernando Garcia, a 36-year-old Mexico City administrator. "I don't like the raids and how they destroy families (and) ... the hate they are generating against Mexicans."

Such sentiment contrasts with the cooler reaction much that Mexico gave to the millions of immigrants who took to the streets of Washington, Los Angeles, Austin and other cities in the spring and summer of 2006 to demand an overhaul of immigration laws.

The seeming indifference and lack of supporting protests in Mexico irritated many advocates of immigrant rights.

But since then, immigration reforms on Capitol Hill have stalled, while a series of stiff state laws were enacted and the U.S. government started building a wall along the border.

Supporters in the United States say such laws are designed to curb illegal immigration. But many in Mexico see them as discriminatory, while failing to address the larger issue of immigration policy.

Snip.......http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...migmexico.html
_______

Hmmmmm........So, the Mexican government is frustrated with our handling of illegal immigration.

Let's think about this - they are illegal - how far is too far - is sending them back too far? What a load of codswallop. I’m going to need a bigger wheelbarrow, if the Mexican government doesn't just shut up.