View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, '67 Cobra, 1966 427 sideoiler, 2x4s, w/NASCAR toploader
Not Ranked     
Default AC Pedals

I did a similar prep on mine prior to installation, but I took it a step further. Since the pedal arms on the clutch swing quite a bit I wanted to make the pedals pivot on the arms, but I wanted them to "hang" at the same angle when not in use.

I cut a notch on the top side (edge) of the arm about 3/4 inch to 1 inch above the end of the arm. The notch needs to be at an angle to allow a small compression spring to slip over the point created by the notch. The other end of the spring fits into a small recess that you drill into the back of the pedal, above the pivot point. The only part of this that is tedious at all is to make sure the end of the arm that slips into the grove at the pivot point is ground at the proper angle to provide a "stop" that the pedals rest against when not in use. You need to be sure to use a compression spring long enough to compress enough to keep the portion of the pedal below the pivot point, against the "stop". Of course you want both pedals to "stop" at the same angle so the stop angles on the end of the arms must be the same.

It took longer to think this out and draw it up than to do it. The result is well worth the little extra effort. The pedals pivot with your foot as they are depressed making for more comfort and a more positive feel. If you need a sketch of this, I can probably draw one up and email it to you.

Good luck, Bob